Author Topic: Osage Tiller Advise  (Read 4948 times)

Offline bigcountry

Osage Tiller Advise
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:01:17 am »
First off, I apologize with the numerous Tiller advise posts I do, I just lack a little confidence.

Ok, this has been a troublesome stave from the beginning, but I have grown to love her.  She is at 45lbs at 29Inches and I missed my target by 5lbs.  I am thinking of piking, but wanted to get your advise first.  She is at 66.5" NTN now.   I backed her with deer rawhide.  And she has been drying for 6 days.  She is a pyramid design from 1.75" at the fades tapering to 1/2" tips.

I had her tillered well, but she had natural deflex, and cast was not great.  So I took out my heat gun and flipped the tips.  I am not used to tillering a bow that looks like a R/D design.    So let me know what you think?  I left the right limb a little heavy on purpose.  It looks good to me, but I am not sure that last 12" are little stiff or not.

Unbraced after the Tip Flip

5" braced after tip flip

20" Tiller after Tip Flip

28" Tiller After the Tip Flip
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:04:21 am by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

radius

Re: Osage Tiller Advise
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 06:04:15 am »
i think the limb on the right side of the screen has a long "flat" spot in it...left limb looks like a nice arc

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:45:21 am »
Left limb needs to bend near the fades. Right limb looks good. Some scrapes near the fades of the left limb will bring it home. Personally, I'm not a fan of piking. You designed the bow soundly for a 29 inch draw. Piking will cause more set. Any weight you gain (5 # or so for every inch from each limb) will still result in a loss of cast. Practice will get the weight you want on staves. The profile on that stave is sweet. Go slowly now. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:58:52 am »
I have to agree with Radius on this one. Looks a bit strong in the right limb,(inner third). Also I see that you are pulling the bow from it's dynamic center. Try moving it over in the saddle, and pulling it where the fulcrum will be. It will look different.

All in all it looks perty swell. ;)

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:57:53 am »
I have to agree with Radius on this one. Looks a bit strong in the right limb,(inner third). Also I see that you are pulling the bow from it's dynamic center. Try moving it over in the saddle, and pulling it where the fulcrum will be. It will look different.

All in all it looks perty swell. ;)

Thanks, i shoot 3 under, so little over center is where I pull.

I can't really see this flat spot according to my grid.  But something just does not look right to me either.  I plan on doing some short pull shots today.  I am sure tiller will change some.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 01:18:54 pm »
You should be able to take 2" off each tip without a problem.
  Looks to me like the left limb could bend more at the fade out to the red vertical line and again at the tip where there seems to be a knot but leave the last 4" stiff.  The right limb looks a bit stiff between the two red vertical lines out from the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:09:22 pm »
Thanks guys, I shot it about 60 shots.  Shoots quicker than some 53lb osage bow I got. I am little surprised how zippy she is. Little hand shock, I figured it was from the meat I left near the tips. 

Not a bad shooter all in all.  Still needs some work.  I am going to take a break from this bow for a few days, and work on that left limb a tad and little on the right.  I am sure after 60 shots (not pulling hard to 29", more like 27-28"), tiller probably changed some.
Westminster, MD