Author Topic: limb width taper  (Read 3571 times)

Offline yazoo

limb width taper
« on: May 29, 2009, 01:13:14 pm »
how fast or slow does everyone taper the width of there bows,,I try to go full width till midlimb then 1/4 in every 6in to maybe a 5\8in tip,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: limb width taper
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:34:32 pm »
Mike, I've done them with a straight taper from fade to tip all the way to parallel limbs to the last 6" before tapering. All worked well but generally I will go out 4" to 6" then begin the taper to the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:50:40 pm »
I go direct taper from fades to tips fairly often. When I do go parallel limbs, I go about 2/3 of the limb then taper to 1/2" at the tips. If it is a 27" limb I go 18" then taper the last 9".  After I glue on the tip overlays I narrow the tips to 3/8".
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:09:27 pm »
Howdy Group,

What material types, (Osage, white woods...) are you (Yazoo, Pat, and Justin) talking about?  Which woods are good for straight taper, and which ones are good to keep limbs parallel?  And, what widths do you like to start with for these different woods?   (In 500 words or less ;))

And, Justin, I like that tip you gave about gluing the tip overlays on before final tapering near the tips.  At what point, in tillering, do you actually narrow the ends to 3/8"?

Thanks,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 04:12:30 pm »
I usually go half limb parallel (or less), and then taper to 1/2" tips.

radius

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:41:08 pm »
alot of the strength comes from the first 8 inches of meat or so, outside of the fades.    For a stronger bow, taper later than sooner...

radius

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 07:01:02 pm »
So far I have done one bow with straight 10" and then taper to tips.  And made on pyamid that tapers from the fades.  I myself have enjoyed the one I tapered from the fades.   Seemed easier to tiller for some reason.  Basically the limb thickness is uniform throughout from the fades to the tip. 
Westminster, MD

radius

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 07:09:24 pm »
sounds like you've got it covered...

how's it goin, there, adb?

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:48 pm »
Good, Scott! How are you? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 07:35:45 pm »
Canoe, I narrow them right after I glue the tips on.  Sometimes I do it right after floor tiller, sometimes I long string tiller first.  It depends a lot on how much time I have. If I have time to tiller it I do it. If it is late or I don't have time to work on the bow I glue the overlays so the glue will be dry when I do have time.  ;) Its all about making the most of my time.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:37:39 pm »
You can use the different bow styles with almost any wood if your length and width is appropriate for he wood used.
  I usually don't finish or narrow tips until the tillering is completed. You may need to make adjustments and with a little extra width at the tips you can move the tip to one side or the other as needed. Same with the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 11:41:24 am »
You are right Pat, it is best to leave the tips a little wide until after final tiller.  I usually narrow to 3/8 before then narrow a little more after I am done. It also depends on the bow.  With a straight stave or laminated bow (most of mine are laminated) I don't worry about that because I lay a straight line down the center and use it for layout.  I have never had one that was off enough to matter when it was finished. With a character stave I like to leave the tips closer to 5/8 until I'm done so I can adjust a little.  I do wait to see which limb will be the top and which will be the bottom.  If the string tracks just barely to the side, then that side will be the side the arrow passes on. It just makes it a little closer to center shot.  ;D

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 12:00:50 pm »
Another reason I like to lay a bow out symmetrically is I can decide later which limb will be the top. Lots of things can change as you tiller and I like to cover all bases before I make final decisions.
  Leaving the handle area full width can be helpful if the center of your bow effects the string track. It is a lot easier to remove wood from the strong side than it is to heat and bend a handle so allow the string to track properly.

Offline shamus

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 12:48:19 pm »
I go for a gradual taper on most bows, but sometimes the wood will need a different approach.

more here: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/05/osage-flat-bow-dimensions.html

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 01:45:43 pm »
I always width taper my bows.  Sometimes the taper is slight for the first few inches and other times it's a straight taper from fades to tips, I also do everything in between
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com