Author Topic: Planed bamboo  (Read 18018 times)

Offline boo

Re: Planned bamboo
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 12:41:53 pm »
I disagree, If i ordered  boo planed already i would expect it ready to glue. Why order it planed??? If i have to re work it why not just do it from the start and order it raw, CHEAPER. That is why you buy a kit or ready made materials. We all dont have the tools to do what is required, thats why people sell kits and parts for the guy that wants to try and make a bow . If this guy has planed the boo allready, why not plane it right in the first place??? Every piece of boo ive ever ordered planed came ready to glue except for taking a hacksaw blade to it to roughen up the glue surface.
Boo

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 01:06:34 pm »
...  From top to bottom it (tapers) from about 3/8th of an inch to about 1/16th. ...

That rudderbow guy says just glue it on the way it is, and we all know that won't make a bow, right!? He doesn't mean to sound rude, but boy, he DOES sound rude!
Frank from Germany...

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 01:27:58 pm »
Just seen the $ you piad for what you got!! :o :o :o

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 01:54:52 pm »
...  From top to bottom it (tapers) from about 3/8th of an inch to about 1/16th. ...

That rudderbow guy says just glue it on the way it is, and we all know that won't make a bow, right!? He doesn't mean to sound rude, but boy, he DOES sound rude!

I agree if rudderbows say just glue on and tiller out the stiff parts, then there is a problem.  I am a newbie myself, but I do know I wouldn't want to glue on a piece of boo where one side is real thick, and other thin.   Its ashamed it went down like this.
Westminster, MD

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 02:08:54 pm »
I must admit I suspected where you bought the material long before I got to the emails. It seems to be a habit of them to talk around their mistakes and making excuses in stead of replacing the material with what you paid for. I think you could make a bow out of it, but it would take a lot more time and patience.  If I bought planed boo from a garden center, I would accept that stuff. When you buy it from a bow builder/supplier you should expect higher quality, especially since you paid premium.  I'm sorry you paid good money for mediocre/bad materials. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Christophero

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 02:17:34 pm »
The response was uncalled for in my opinion.
I will say this, having worked with hickory staves and boards for glue up they can look very deflexed before glue up but you can manipulate that into reflex by the way you form the two materials in the glue up.  It is called Perry Reflex.  Don't let the deflex bother you.  I can understand the response bothers you, though.

Offline hntr

Re: Planed bamboo
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 02:20:08 pm »
I'm sure I could make it work, but I would like to make something that is worthy of passing down to my kids and I think too highly of my children to give them a bow made out of this stuff.  So if anyone is interested its for sale.

Offline Dano

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 02:22:30 pm »
Jeff, I'm sorry for the way I came off. After reading what Jim's responce, I'd be a tad pissed too. It is a shame that somebody like that would take advantage of a new bowyer. Hopefully he will come around and make things right.  If not a business can be ruined very easily by word of mouth.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 02:55:19 pm »
Here is what I would do, make the best of what you have. Take you bamboo and draw out a 1 1/4" wide bow pattern on the belly, make it as perfect as you can by working off a center line end to end. 12" from the nocks taper your pattern to 1/2" nocks. Trim your bamboo to the pattern you drew. Use a sanding block or belt sander to even up the thickness side to side about 1/16" everywhere on the bamboo even the tips. While sanding pay attention to the entire slat and keep the belly flat.

I guess you better run a sanding block over the the future glue surface of your hickory to make sure it is flat. Put 3" blocks under the hickory slats tips and glue your bamboo on. trim your hickory to the same dimensions as your bamboo after you take the clamps off. Most of the reflex will come out after you take your clamps off and tiller your bow.

If you make BBH like I described you will have a rocket launcher, how do I know, I am finishing up that exact bow today. It pulls about 45# at 25" and shoots at least 160fps.

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 04:11:18 pm »
My response from Jim was disappointing, also. I requested replacement for poor quality material, and he flat out refused... told me I didn't know what I was doing, and it was my fault, etc., etc.
Poor business practice, I think. hntr, with little effort, you can make your own material much better, and cheaper. Don't be afraid to jump in and give it a go yourself.

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 08:06:51 pm »
Sorry to hear of your difficulties.  Not to worry.  The kind of people that make their own bows usually vote with their wallets when they hear of this kind of thing.  I know I do.   

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 09:31:53 pm »
 hntr, I'm not gonna comment on Rudderbows and their products, you see the quality. James Parker sells some ready to glue up, evenly planed and dyed if you want bamboo backings and is an advertiser in the magazine also. These backings are top shelf and James will bend over backwards to please a customer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 10:29:32 pm »
well like i said, i know not many on here have any good to say about Jim.
now i dont know him or his family personaly nor is he paying me to say this.

now like i said i too have gotten this kind of product from him. i also got the same response,i didnt take it as being sarcastic.
i took it as maybe he knows his products.i didnt go around acting like someone pissed in my oat meal either.
i decided that since i paid hard earned money for this so as to make a bow from it,that was what i was going to do.
i knew that my abilities at that time werent up to the project.i have had this for well over a year now.i have worked on it a little here a little there as my
self confidence has grown.i dont give up,i problem solve.
i figured if he said it will make a good bow,then thats what i was going to do with it.
here are some pics to show the boo
first are the same spot on one limb,left to right

next is the differance in the boo thicknes in the other limb

and the tiller

see it can be done,i have over 200 arrows thru this to shoot it in.now i am doing the finish on it.
it will be shot all this summer for target practice.it pulls 46# @ 26"
all things considerd,i think it turned out pretty damn well and i am pleased as punch.

@Marc: i dont need a glue up bow right now,as i have enough staves to keep me busy for awhile and i enjoy doing them more.
           however if you would like to purchase it and send it to me i would be happy to make a bow from it and post a pic or three ;D ;)

peace,
                                                                          tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Bowmonk

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »
I'm sure Jim starts with perfectly good wood  :P

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 11:03:26 pm »
If he had sent the bamboo as it grew, a bow could still be made out of it.  That does not make it a planed bamboo backing strip tho.  If he had sent it to me, I would be PO"ed too.  I can't believe the people here attacking this man for reporting his problems with shoddy merchandise. 
Bad business is bad business.  No where is there a requirement for me to accept shoddy goods or service from anyone.  I for one appreciate the warning posted written in the man's own words!  Thanks for taking the time to make the rest of us newcomers aware of this kind of business paractices.