Author Topic: Draw Knifes What to Buy?????  (Read 4070 times)

Offline BearG

Draw Knifes What to Buy?????
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:25:15 pm »
Hey guyes What name brand(s) should I want to buy or to stay away from.  Ebay is loaded with them. But I dont have a cue on what to get.
Thanks, Bear G.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

coyote pup

Re: Draw Knifes What to Buy?????
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:32:20 pm »
Seriously, the one to buy is the oldest one you can find. Just make sure it's in good shape. They don't make 'em like they used to. My dad bought me a new one recently that I tried once and haven't picked it up since. Why? Because I still have the old one that they used to build the barn in 1895 and even though the handles are falling off I've prefered to tape them up than use the new one with the smaller blade, smaller handles, and bigger bevel which makes it a pain in the rear to bust through belly nots. Just my experiences. Not that the newer ones ain't no good-they are. It's just that they don't compare to an old timer once you've used one.   

Offline BearG

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:54:04 pm »
ye I khow what you mean I bought one from 3 Rivers and it doesn't compare to the old ones Pappy has in his collection.

coyote pup

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:24:05 pm »
If it was me, I'd try to find an old man or woman who has one that they're just too old to use anymore and offer them a fair price. That way you know it was well taken care off (in most cases) and they know they can't take money with them to Heaven when they go so they'll probably give you a fair deal on it, if not more than fair. Public auctions can be good places to do this. Not everybody has a use for a draw knife anymore so you can sometimes find a good one for a good price. But you gotta snatch it up quick!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:17:38 pm »
I have a few,  I got all mine off ebay.  Its a crapshoot.  I had to reshape the edge on a beltsander to get single bevel and the curve I like.  I email these people as ask over and over if the handles are solid, and I guess my idea of loose handles and thiers are two different things. 

I myself like the ones that woodcraft sells. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Bowmonk

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:37:58 pm »
Actually, it's best to have 2 draw knives... 1 should have a wider blade with a slow straight bevel and should be kept very sharp for smooth cutting and fast removal. The second should have a narrower blade with a faster bevel... you will sharpen this one and then dull it slightly with a fine stone. The reason for this one is to do growth ring separations by "popping" off the ring you are removing and reducing the risk of cutting into the ring you are keeping.

And, as mentioned... most of the older draw knives (found in antique stores and flea markets etc.) are the better ones to use... they are of a more balanced working weight, they are also hand forged and usually hold a better edge. Make sure you try to get a draw knife with a wider spread between the handles, as this makes easier work with the extra leverage and balance.

Russ

Offline BearG

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:18:58 am »
I have a few,  I got all mine off ebay.  Its a crapshoot.  I had to reshape the edge on a beltsander to get single bevel and the curve I like.  I email these people as ask over and over if the handles are solid, and I guess my idea of loose handles and thiers are two different things. 

I myself like the ones that woodcraft sells. 
Does Woodcraft have a web site?

Offline BearG

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 08:19:42 am »
thanks for the advise guyes.

Offline smokeu

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:48:59 pm »
Antique stores for sure.... just start calling them in the phonebook
Longview, TEXAS

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 12:45:49 am »
You might try yard sales and auctions, especially ones where the family is selling off items from the estate.  My grandfather had 4 draw knives that were heading to the estate auction.  I got 2 of them before they reached the auction block.  Had I know I would develope an interest in bow building, I would have gotten all of them.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 01:19:14 am »
I have a flexcut brand drawknife from woodcraft that I like alot.
SW Utah

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 06:24:16 am »
I also like this little carving drawknife that I bought from Lee Valley Tools.  I use it more than any tool I have.  I works great for when you are getting close to the ring you want, also for removing bark from whitewoods.  I find the  big knife too aggressive for that.  It is about 6 " long with a straight blade.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 06:49:18 am »
Bear, I'd look at antique stores in your area. Some seem to specialize in old tools. I found my present knive for 50 bucks, about 110 years old, with a wooden sheath, made by a famous Massachusetts tool maker. I love that knife, and find it cool knowing others have owned it before me.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline BearG

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 08:58:46 am »
Thanks again guyes.
My wife and I have been lookin at flea markets and antique mall with no succsess so far.  But I'll keep lookin.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 09:32:41 am »
I have (only) one drawknife, but I use it a lot. It is probably the most versatile and useful tool I have. Because the blade is 12" long, I can really hog off loads of wood. I would like to get a smaller drawknife as well, for more delicate work. But it does not have my priority; I'll see when I stumble upon one.

The drawknife I have is a J&R Dodge one. That company started to make tools in 1862, and made edged tools since 1879. I don't know how old my drawknife is exactly, but probably around 100 to 130 years old I guess!
I found my knife at a flea market. It was laying on a table, begging me to be bought. I inspected the knife. I could see it was old: one handle is heavily infested with wood borers (long gone now), the other handle has a crack or two, the the blade was very dull. I think the knife has been neglected for years, if not decades. But the cutting edge was still straight, without any major dents, so it could easily be resharpened. I bought the knife for an amazing €3,50 (about 5 USD), knowing that the handles may need a refitting. I had the knife professionally sharpened for me, at the local hardware store. Sharpening was more expensive than the knife itself; sharpening was €5,-
The handles are still in place, so that's better than I'd hoped for. It is very sharp, and holds the edge very well, even after a few years of abusive drawknifing.
Yes, I like this antique tool!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286