Author Topic: Red Oak board bow backing?  (Read 22139 times)

Dreadroot

Red Oak board bow backing?
« on: May 24, 2009, 12:00:53 pm »
Just as the title says, I recently decided to attempt to make a longbow out of a red oak board and was curious how it should be backed. I've only backed 1 bow before (a hickory one, rawhide backing, rather pathetic bow but still...) and I am unsure what should be used for a "board bow", considering i've never done it before. I can only assume that backing is very recomended for this type of bow, considering it has no defined "back" or "belly", but I don't know for sure, as I only just started working on the riser and havn't even started shaping the limbs.
any way, what backing should be used for this type of bow? rawhide? snakeskin (please dont say snakeskin...its rather expensive....)

Offline sailordad

Re: Red Oak board bow backing?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:15:38 pm »
well what kind of grain orientation does the board have?

not all boards are created equal,and not all should be used for bows.however if you do have a good grained board.
it is not completely neccasary to back it but is recomended.
i have made several hick board bows,some backed some not
i like using a cotton cloth with a camo pattern,then i put tbbIII glue on the back of the board and let ot dry.
then i cut the fabric to size,get it damp,apply glue to the cloth,spread the cloth onto the back of the board,pull tight
length ways and side to side.i like to use small clamps to hold the fabric at the tips.
then i wipe off any excessive glue from the cloth and let it dry.
good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:13:06 pm »
There's info on my site about board choice. I've used silk, burlap and linen on boards. Not all boards need to be backed but I think a beginner should back his first few. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:57:46 pm »
I've built a good number of red oak board bows. I backed them all with a strip of 7oz linen canvas. Haven't broken one yet. Floor tiller, sand the edges, back the bow, complete the tiller, start shooting. Good luck.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:51 am »
Howdy Dreadroot,

I followed George's guidance, from his web site. 
For material, I found some silk shirts at Good Will, and died them black using Rit Die.  I put the silk strips in a small plastic bag, added TB2 (or TB3) and a little water.  And then, I squished and squeezed the bag for a little while to work the glue into the material.  I then spread the silk strips out - starting from center and worked outward.  Make sure there are no bubbles under the silk.

That should work.

Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:03:56 pm »
George's site has good reference. Snake skin does not provide much other than decoration. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

first-timer

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 03:06:51 pm »
Alright, I know I'm speaking out of complete inexperience, and I'm probly making a fool of myself, but how does cloth help a bow last longer? Just curious.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 03:21:02 pm »
cloth on the back of a board bow helps to keep splinters from lifting,when splinters lift it is a good spot for the bow to break(a weak spot)

first-timer

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:04:24 pm »
Oh, I guess that makes sense. Haha, sorry, it will probly be a while before I know enough to stop asking what you people probly think of as pretty dumb questions :P

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 04:06:55 pm »
Ask away, that's how we learn ;)
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 04:15:07 pm »
i had a teacher once that told me

"theres no such thing as a stupid question,only stupid people that donts ask questions"

so keep them coming,ive asked all the same ones when i started.maybe not the one about yew,only cause i didnt know about yew. ;D

nickf

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 06:05:55 pm »
you'll find many people eager to reply on any question you post. However you might consider doing a little research first, wich will be very usefull. Threads with similar questions keep coming, so there's plenty of answers already written elsewere.

one other thing I can really recommend starting bowyers is just doing it. Simply starting making bows, unafraid to make any errors prooves to be the quickest way to get into this. For example, if you'll back this bow, you'll ask yourself later: could it be done without backing? and I bet you're gonna try one later, without ;)

I've made 29 bows so far (and broke an additional 10-20 :p), not really impressive, I must admit. But I made only 4 backed bows, and none with canvas, linen or whatever fabric backing ;)

Nick

Dreadroot

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 04:57:44 pm »
Thanks to all for your help, I just came from outside, and the bow has it's shape and the handle fades into the lombs. It seems as if silk backing is the way to go, but I have one other question: how can I make this bow look as primative as possible? I want it to have an old, rustic look to it, not modern or to ahve the appearance of modern materials.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 06:25:15 pm »
put a log chain on one end and drag it behind your truck >:D
that would make it look rustic ;D  lol

Aosda

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 12:04:48 am »
put a log chain on one end and drag it behind your truck >:D
that would make it look rustic ;D  lol

:D

Depending on what you're thinking as rustic and primitive, you can search your local hardware store or the big orange one for stains.  I know Cabot's makes a crap load of different tones and colors.  With the different stains, you can create a antiqued or seasoned look to the wood.