Author Topic: fluting.  (Read 4530 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
fluting.
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:14:00 am »
ok considering i just reduced 5 4-5" blades to rubble trying to flute them for next months challenge , whats the trick? i know the basics but the the #$#$#$#$ trick. >:(  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: fluting.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:30:16 am »
I one once heard of a guy who stuck his Clovis points into some soft dirt and then whacked the flutes off with an antler punch.

I broke a few points last night trying to thin the points from the tip (haven't even gotten to the fluting part yet)....and the break always occurred when there the flake was "supposed" to end.  I need to go back and watch flintknappingtips on youtube.....Marty holds his points with a thick leather pad and braces the point against something fairly solid.

I think I'm just going to make mine thicker. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:04:53 am »
i went to my first knapp in back in feb
i watched a guy named Jim Redfern make gaint clovis points,when he did the fluting he would have the nipple all set
large leather pad on his leg.then he would force the point of the blade into the pad and it looked like he was holding it pretty tight
like that,then one nice whack and      wa la          a perfect flute
dont know if it would work for me as i am very new,i am stayig out of the point challenge this month
good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:15:29 pm »
I'm novice in this fluting thing too. Seems like prep is key, enough mass to carry the flake through, angle and a perfect hit - of course alll the stars and planets will have to be aligned also ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 05:28:20 pm »
The trick:  Hold the sides.  If you try to trap the flake, it will dive and snap.  Usually on the second flute.  3-1 width to thickness helps.  A good median ridge helps.  Bill

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 05:43:30 pm »
i think im missing the ridge part. getting them too thin prior to fluting
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »
Make sure your platform for the flute is completly below the centerline.  I tilt mine at about 45-60 degrees from verticle, then hit in and down at about 80 degrees from the plane.   I have  problems with the highly heat treated rock, I usually break most of them.  I have better luck with a rock you don't have to heat treat.  Bill

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:26:10 am »
Bill's right.  Hold the point in your hand, and squeeze both edges as though you're trying to squeeze the point narrower.  It works, though not every time.  Once I made an obsidian clovis point with both flutes running 2/3 towards the tip.  I squeezed the sides, but also put the tip of the point against a small pine tree and hit the nipple.  And it worked. Also a median ridge is important, so carefully control your flakes so they terminate in the center of the point.   Just some ideas for ya'll to try.  Good luck with this month's challenge! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 11:43:11 am »
  The point must be supported from 3 sides.. the tip , and the two edge's. There are different was of doing this. you can squeeze it and press the tip into your leg pad , if the point is small enough then squeeze is and press the tip ageist the side of your pinky finger, some people also use an anvil they will press the tip into a piece of wood and against a rock that has a leather pad on it.
 Bottom line if your Clovis must be supported well to keep it from braking.
 The ridge is important to. consider the ridge from the time you reach stage one bi-face. adjust you angle as needed to obtain a good cross section 'ridge'.
 Last but not least the Nipple. the nipple is nothing more the a well prepared isolated platform on the base of your point.
 Happy knapping yall.  "Make it of Brake it" thats the Clovis....
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 02:12:22 pm »
Used my antler punches and got one fluted on both sides. Now i have to get one to work on one thats not so ugly.

waterbury, ct

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:30:47 am »
Some good tips here,the only thing I could add that helps me is the swing.When you have everything preped and ready to hit give yourself swinging room to have a nice followthrough.like hittin' a ball ,don't slow your swing when you hit the nipple,swing right through with one smoth swing.then jump up and down and cuss if ya bust it
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline jamie

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 08:51:27 am »
dude i just blew coffee all over my truck. That was funny

waterbury, ct

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 02:10:09 pm »
I don't know if these will be of any educational value, but you might learn something from them. ???
 These are pics I took of an ancient piece I have in my collection. I think it was intended to be a Cumberland, but was for obvious reasons, never finished.
 I hope ya'll can study these pics and maybe learn a little something about how the natives did it (or sometimes didn't) ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:10:03 pm »
Reall cool study piece there Saw. Looks like he had it a lil thick on that one side and the flute didn't go? maybe snapped the end off, and then he had to go to anger mangament for throwing the piece a long distance,thereby striking the cheifs personall concubine in the rump casuing all kinds of pain and suffereing and.....I'll shut up.

One can only speculate? ;D

Offline jamie

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 07:12:27 pm »
 ;D

waterbury, ct