Author Topic: New Hickory "D" bow  (Read 9332 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
New Hickory "D" bow
« on: May 20, 2009, 07:10:05 pm »
 59" ntn, a llittle under 1 3/8" wide at the handle tapering to 7/16" pin nocks. dark green and brown rit dye on the tips, and dark green on the limbs. 7 coats of my home made "tru-oil" and some wax over top. jute twine on the handle. it actually gained some weight from when i finished the tillering. ive been keeping it in the hot box while i put the finish on, so i think it dryed out some more. it came out at 45#@27", and it throws my new cane arrows pretty well.  this was a project that was started over a year ago. inspired by Gordons hazlenut buildallong. i really like this style of bow, its surprisingly fast for the weight. I made this bow to use with my "indian" style buckskin hunting shirt...whenever i get that done... :D

Phil

stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline richpierce

Re: New Hickory "D" bow
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 07:36:53 pm »
Looks great!

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:45:03 pm »
Very nice ! I just love the look of the D bow !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline smokeu

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:05:16 pm »
Great bow, Looks really nice with the finish you put on>  Are the wraps with artificial sinew??

Thanks and Nice bow,

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline xin

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:24:42 pm »
This is without a doubt the best looking hick bow I've ever seen.  That home brew tru-oil did the trick.  Great looking bow.!!!!!    Congratulations!!!!

Offline Staver

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:27:05 pm »
Sweet lookin bow Phil 8)  Great work!  I like that style of bow a lot too.  Joe H

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »
You know, D bows are just about my favorite type bow.  Great lookin' bow.  You did a great job!

Aosda

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 09:43:37 pm »
Well done on this one.  Looks great.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 09:52:08 pm »
Thanks Guys! ive been kinda out of the loop for quite a while, so i havnt been posting or tillering much. this bow has deffinately gotten me back into it.

Mike, yes thoes are art. sinew wraps. the bow developed some chryssals early on at a weak spot cause it was a tad too wet, so i epoxied an osage slat ive the spot, and wrapped the works with art. sinew. then coated the whole area with epoxy. i fixed the tiller so it shouldnt give me any problems.

the home made truoil did work great, but ive got to get something to put in it to speed up the drying. it took about 3 days between coats. and that was in my drying box!

Phil

Aosda

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 10:04:43 pm »
What was the final make up of the oil you came up with?

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:16:16 pm »
good job keep it up ;D

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 10:59:11 pm »
Great looking bow Phil, I like it a lot.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 06:17:42 am »
that is a gorgeous hickory bow. damn nice job.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 07:23:11 am »
thanks fellas. it means alot commin from you guys!

Aosda, i started out going by the MSDS proportions, but it was a bit too thiin. so i tinkered with it a bit and ended up with about 30% mineral spirits, 50% toung oil, and about 20% boiled linseed oil. i also added a couple of drops of special walnut stain to it, which gives it just enough color. like i said, im going to be getting soem Japan dryer to put in it. this should finish the blend as far as im concered. if your gonna make your own, make sure you try it on some scrap wood first, till you get the effect you want.

Phil

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 09:40:42 am »
very nice bow, gives me the bug to try a D bow, just love the look. Good job
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.