Author Topic: Any S/W boyers ever use Huisache?  (Read 5302 times)

Tombow

Any S/W boyers ever use Huisache?
« on: May 14, 2009, 02:54:39 pm »
Greetings guys, I'm fairly new to this board and my thanks to all of your help and info as I have lurked...My question is about the 'hated' Huisache tree. If you're not familiar with it, it's an acacia similar to Mesquite only it stinks when burned and doesn't split as easily. I've found it to be pretty tough and 'springy' and made one little sapling bow from it which was unbreakable. I'm curing a few larger staves now and wondered if anyone's ever made bows from it.?? It is a beautiful wood too!  Tom

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
Re: Any S/W boyers ever use Huisache?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:55:07 pm »
i have not heard of any bows made from this, im only a novice but i read a lot, sounds like a good candidate if a miniature worked well. best of luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

coyote pup

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:24:07 pm »
I've not used it, but I would if I ever come across any. I was discribing Osage to a Mexican one time, and he said Oh yeah we have that down in Mexico too. Turns out he thought I was describing Huisache because I used words like hard, strong, flexible, fence-post material, good hot burning fire wood. I think it has thorns too? Can't remember if he said it did or not.

Tombow

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:34:24 pm »
Oh yes Coyote Pup! Thorns upon thorns! Also Very hard and heavy, probably as heavy as anything that grows here in el sur de Tejas. I will post in a few months and let you know how it goes, I'll have to see how long it takes to dry.
Here's an Elm ugly from South Texas. Strong and shoots good; found a dead tree with a little good wood left. Tom
Not sure if the pictures flew, someone let me know how to add photos..??

Offline smokeu

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:07:23 pm »
you must resize them.... if the combined kbs are over 200kb they will not go.   I use picassa 3 and when you export the pics to a new folder you can resize them.

I just made a primitive archery folder click to export the pics select my PM folder and it gives you the option to resize.  It may take a few to get them to the correct size. Also if you right click on your pic you select properties and it will show your pic size.

Hope that helps,

mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 05:36:46 pm »
Upload your pics to photobucket (free photo storage site).   When you upload photos to photobucket, they are automatically resized.  Then copy the photo's link that says "IMG Code" and then paste the link directly into your post.  The pictures will remain in your PA post unless you delete or move the photos within photobucket.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Tombow

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 05:53:39 pm »

Here's a try, thanks for your patience.......Tom

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 06:01:41 pm »
Tom, I lived in South Texas for a while (near Edinburg)...but never tried Huisache.  The elm down there is pretty strong, I tried making arrows from it before I knew better....burnt out my table saw trying to make square arrow blanks from the stuff. ::)

The Huisache looks promising....some branches are pretty straight, although I don't remember seeing any large trees.  Let us know how it works.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr