Author Topic: First Osage self bow "Natural Beauty"  (Read 3965 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

First Osage self bow "Natural Beauty"
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:13:00 am »
Still not finished, almost though.  My first time working with osage and I love it.  She is 64" tip to tip and I don't know what the draw weight is right now, I'm hoping for 60-70@26".  The tillering still looks a little off in the top limb (would be the right limb on the tillering stick).  I really want everyone's comments, good or bad, tell me what you think of it, what you think i could do with it.  thanks

--Kyler

[attachment deleted by admin]
GBR!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First Osage self bow "Natural Beauty"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:24:22 am »
Looks a little flat just passed the dark spot about 3or4 inches out from the fad on the right limb and then a little hindgy spot and flat again out torward the tip. Look pretty good so far and if you have the weight to give you should have plenty of room to correct it.Osage is very forgiving on the tillering. Keep us posted. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:47:59 am »
Looks like the left limb is bending more overall then the right. You might compare the distances working down each limb when the bow is at brace, 90 degrees off the string to the belly. If the bow was laid out symetrical, you'll want your top limb a little weaker (bending more) but we try and keep them within a 1/4" of each other.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:34:49 am »
What the rest said but without an unbraced side view picture its tough to say ???

Looks like a challenging stave :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:27:49 am »
Your right limb is behind, and very flat. I'd work it mid-limb, until you catch up with the left limb. Careful, you have a potential hinge just out of both fades... leave those areas alone, and work the middle and tips. Remember not to overdraw the bow at this satge, it will increase your set.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:53:11 pm »
Yes, right limb is too stiff. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:23:50 am »
Don't have much to say about the tillering but man, it looks like a fun challenge.  I haven't worked with Osage yet but it looks like something to enjoy.  Good Luck!

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:35:17 am »
hey thanks everyone for your input and advice.  I took some of it and evened out the limbs and i got it to where I want it now.  Just sanding, and tru oil left then Ill put some finished pic's on here...thanks again
GBR!

Offline shamus

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:57:55 am »
Firstly: tillering a character bow is difficult.  So don't be too hard on yourself.

The outer limbs look a bit stiff.

More thoughts of mine on tillering:  http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2009/04/tiller-profiles.html

Hope it helps.