Author Topic: Rock ID Help  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Talonzz

Rock ID Help
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:51:13 pm »
Can any of you tell me what this is and if it would be any good for knapping?

I live in Central Minnesota and found this just poking out of the ground near the base of a tree in one of our pastures.
I've included pics of all faces...

Nobody Ever got Anywhere by Being Content...
Central Minnesota

Offline sailordad

Re: Rock ID Help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:45:53 pm »
not sure if it will knapp or not,but i have seen it in fields whrn i was turkey hunting last week.
the stuff that i saw was kinda glassy but filled with air pockets and nothing of any size to make me want to grab it while i was hunting.
but i too wondered the same thing,wished i would have grabbed a hunk now.

the farmer who lets me chase buzzards has a huge one in his yard
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:03:08 am »
Howdy Neighbor(Sailordad).  Where abouts do you Turkey hunt?  I live in Milaca...

I don't know much about what to even look for as far as good stuff for knappin' but I'd like to learn.
This chunk is about 10" on all faces... heavy as he11. I set it on top of my kindling box when I found it and forgot about it
until this spring....
I found my kindling box collapsed when I went to grab it.

I sent you a PM earlier today.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:12:42 am by Talonzz »
Central Minnesota

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:17:48 am »
Man, I ain't got a clue what that is. But looks chalenging at the least. I'd love to give it a try ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 07:23:35 am »
Break a corner offin it and post another picture, it looks tough.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:13:43 am »
Looks like quartzite to me. ???

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:23:02 am »
 Looks like Granite to me, it is all over that area.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 09:36:02 am »
gonna need a baseball bat
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:49:48 am »
Looks like man rock for sure-probably some kind of quartzite. But it's got purty colors. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 11:01:44 am »
I did a search for Quartzite and I see this:
at every site.
 It looks like it could be it but all of the sites also say it's from Brazil... Hollywood Quartzite

If this is indeed what it is...  is it workable or too dang hard?
Central Minnesota

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 10:40:37 am »
TALONZZ:i hunt and live in the st cloud area.i know a few farmers on the outskirts of town,they are always willing to let me hunt
              i dont know of many,but there is a place in princeton called ROCKS N THINGS ( i believe),there just down the highway,so you should stop in with the rock         
              and i'll bet they could tell ya for sure what it is
               did you go to the knapp in that was held in milaca last feb.?i went to it.it was my first knapp in as ihad just got interested in this at that time.i bought some rock and obsidion
              and i dont like to toot my own horn,but i think i have gotten pretty dang good(not fast)at this for as little time as i have been doing it.there is going to be another knapp in
              this summer down in Lake Benton(near pipestone).the wife and a re are planning on going.that way i can kill to brids with one stone so as to speak,more rock for knapping
              and i can pick up more pipestone while i am there too ;D

MULLET:dont think its granite,yes we have literaly tons of it laying around up here,granite in our area is real grainy,rarely ever smooth
            unless its been polished,this rock seems to some out of the ground kinda shiney looking and has bit of a glassy look to it
            not sure what it is but pretty dang sure its not granite.i do think it may be knappible if a guy was to heat it some.
            i am gonna go ask the farmer if i can dig in his rock pile and grab a few pieces to try.

peace,
                                                                                          tim
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:45:31 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline John K

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 12:52:11 pm »
Might be an Agate ? if it is, one that big is worth some money !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 02:17:14 pm »
I don't think it's granite either.  We do alot of granite countertops where I work and this don't look like that.

Sailordad: I did not make it to the knappin here...  I didn't even know about it...  I just got physically interested in all of this primitive stuff in the last couple of months. I actually have my first bow on the tree as we speak. I work in Princeton and I drive by the rock shop all of the time... every time I pass it I think... "I should really bring that rock in..." there it sits... on my bench in the barn.

John K.: That's what I thought it was when I first dug it out of the ground...  but I doubt I could be that lucky. I think I remember reading somewhere that the state record agate for Minnesota is 8lbs...  if this is an agate, I got THAT beat easy and drinks are on me ;D
Central Minnesota

Offline John K

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 02:23:50 pm »
If it's an Agate, don't forget i told you first ! :D 

Thats still my guess.......Agate  :o
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 02:26:09 pm »
Yooperite...also known at the Tennessee Classic as Man Stone......I beleive it is just Quartzite
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome