Author Topic: Tempering Bamboo  (Read 7570 times)

Offline woodsrunner

Tempering Bamboo
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:11:13 pm »
I have been building bamboo backed bows for awhile now, but was wondering about tempering the boo, does it help or hender the bows performance? I have spoken with several makers and got different answers. One says it shortens the life of the bow another says its the road to true performance.  Whats the thought out there? Just curious since my bows do very well. But always open to new approaches. Let me know your opinon.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tempering Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:13:14 pm »
Tempering is only used for boo bellies not for the backings. It increases the compression strength of the boo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:51:56 pm »
here is a tempered bamboo backed ipe,the amount of temper, will enhance performance considerabaly,if taken to its limit of temper,the bow will also retaian more reflex and poundage,with little to no string follow.   robustus

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:33 pm »
I stand corrected! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:48:40 pm »
yes and u-gly

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:59:08 pm »
Thanks guys I've just never tempered. Read about it and thought about it will give it a try on my next backed Osage bow.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:00:31 am »
Nice looking bow by the way robustus,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:03:16 am »
Yeh, but he is ugly! ;D

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:40:20 am »
explains the nice bow, its a distraction

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:29 am »
here is a tempered bamboo backed ipe,the amount of temper, will enhance performance considerabaly,if taken to its limit of temper,the bow will also retaian more reflex and poundage,with little to no string follow.   robustus

Perhaps Bamboo behaves differently than wood but tempering wood weakens it in tension. 

My experiences are that the right balance between tension strength and compression strength is what will make a fast and durable bow.  Too much tension strength and the belly will suffer through compression failure and therefore take set.  Too much compression strength and the possibility of a tension failure becomes a very real possibilty
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:55:50 pm »
you are right marc,bamboo has a sweet spot- too much or too little of either one will show in the end results. althogh pushing bamboo past its happy medium is quite the challenge,im still working on it,i will probably strive towards the end of my life trying to make the perfect boo bow.havent got there yet,but im not giving up...

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 02:03:50 pm »
Robustus how do you temper yours, I was thinking of using a heat gun just like I use to temper the belly on my selfbows.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 02:49:30 pm »
Yeah, I'm interested too,...got a couple of bamboo backed bows in the works that I'll have to glue up in the next future
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 02:59:34 pm »
I've watched Robustus temper boo for bellies and it would scare the pcheeze out of you. :o   Maybe he'll take a few pics of the process for everyone to see.

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 04:51:55 pm »
Wow I could have sworn I heard a personal attack. Now where can I find a moderator?
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?