Author Topic: POLL: How many bows do you have?  (Read 12070 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
POLL: How many bows do you have?
« on: April 26, 2009, 12:32:29 pm »
Just curious, since there are "several" bows leaned up in the corners of my dining room (against the resident interior decorator's wishes).   How many bows do you have: capable of shooting, antiques, kids bows, wives bows, favorites, ones you hate but can't burn, etc?  Grand total, how many bows are standing / hanging around your place? 

I know guitar players who have only 10-12, and some fiddlers who keep 4-5 on hand.  Fishermen need at least ten rods.......etc. 

This could be interesting.  And, it will give us ammunition to make a few more so we are "normal".  :) :) :)

Thanks!!   piper

Offline sonny

Re: POLL: How many bows do you have?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:55:22 pm »
I stopped counting at 15 (a couple of which are fi*@#glass).......
though I'm still on the search for that "perfect" wood bow - you know, the one that feels just right, shoots where you look..........

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »
I give most of mine away, but I have 12 hanging around the house excluding fg bows.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
                                  At this Moment.......17 Stick Bow's.....1 Crossbow....and 2 Compounds

But the Two latterly mentioned Items have been sitting in the Closet Drawing Dust for Years!!!

::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 01:40:32 pm »
After I build a new bow that is better than all my previous, I consider it the "new standard" and set all of the old ones in the corner in a back room and start working on new ones to equal or excel the next standard's performance. So at the time being I only have *one* I talk about and shoot... and about three dozen waiting to be redone at a later date :D.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »
I have given most away but still have nine that I shoot.
SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 03:34:57 pm »
Never enough!!!  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Olschool

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:23:31 pm »
I've got 17
 ::) in this room

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:35:10 pm »
I just counted 28, 2 of which are glass bows and one small solid glass recurve. This is in my utility room. Upstairs I have a few old glass recurves, 2 old lemonwood bows(circa 1940) a mahogany crossbow from the Philippians, an old hickory recurve, and an old Bear recurve I'm bringing to the Classic for Mullet. In the basement where my shop is I have no idea how many are down there...oh! and one in a tube(Cinco de Mayo) going to Mysticguido in NJ tomorrow.  I think that's all!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline african man

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 04:51:37 pm »
1 F.G. custom r/d ... gathering dust
1 bear take down ... gathering dust
1 vintage steel "Seafab Tiger" ... gets shot every now and then
30 - 40 wooden bows scattered around the place ...  ::)  I should count them one day , but not tonight , I can see 26 bows from here ...  :o

Chris ...  ;)
we all die but we all don't live

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 06:29:30 pm »
I have 1 compound "my first". 1 FG longbow "my first". 1 recurve "my wives". and 4 wood bows "2 are my wives and one is to ugly to give away ;D". Ive given away or sold all the rest. I only keep one bow that I shoot and if I make a better one the previous one gets given or sold and replaced with the new one. I only need one good bow to keep me happy :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 06:38:13 pm »
Wasn't sure so I went to the shop and give  a  look. Counted 50,some of which are glass bows. Didn't count the unfinished ones.
Looked in my book and saw that I had finished 10 bows this bow building season.#11 is shot in waiting for finish. ;D

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »
Jesse, i like your style!!  You only need one good bow to keep you happy, but you said, "2 are my wives "  , somehow leading us to believe that you have two wives......wow......

Perhaps you meant: "two belong to my wife".......

Anyway , we get the picture, i think. 

As for me, I have four self bows in the dining room, and one FG recurve in the living room, and two more self bows, wrapped ready to ship to my son, and three in the shop for the movie company.......and I really can't call any of them MINE or a favorite.  Like many of you, i build 'em, and give/sell them away. 

piper

Offline aruge

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 08:56:37 pm »
being new at this, I only have three shooters at the moment (self bows), one in the works and a compound I used to shoot. Time to rough out a couple more in my "spare" time.

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:35:48 pm »
I have 5 Long bows, 1 Pyramid Bow, and 1 Holmgaard Bow. I built all but 2, one was a old Ben Pearson Long Bow that belonged to my Father, and the other was a Old Long Bow from a Collection that was Raffeled off. Best $2 that I ever Spent!
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat