Author Topic: Question for all experienced bow makers.....  (Read 4213 times)

bearbowman

Question for all experienced bow makers.....
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:45:06 pm »
I know I have been hammering you guys with a lot of questions lately, but I am starting to turn out some bows now, and it's provoking me to ask more questions.

How much poundage (on average) should I expect to lose on an unbacked selfbow or boardbow after break in? Assuming I am using seasoned wood.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Question for all experienced bow makers.....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:52:53 pm »
 Most loose 2 to 5 pounds during shoot-in. I made a friend two osage bows with very well seasoned wood, both gained 5# over time, still scratching my head and wondering why.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:55:56 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:19:23 pm »
A 2-5# is about right. 10# if you build it quickly.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:22:40 pm »
You shouldn't loose any weight after final tillering and sanding.
Gordon

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:31:59 pm »
I don't really have a "break in" or "exercise" period for my bows.  I start shooting right after tillering and finishing.  My bows will loose about 1lb for every 100 shots I guess.  I also loose (and gain) poundage when the humidity level changes.  Some wood species will loose more poundage than others and all will loose poundage after a few shots just after bracing....and then stabilize.

I suppose this simple formula would apply to my bows:  loose 1lb for every 100 shots (up to 5lbs), loose 1lb for every shot after bracing (up to 2lbs), and loose up to 7lbs in very humid weather.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:38:38 pm »
None.

ART B

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 02:55:48 pm »
Ive had a couple of self bows that lost 0 but 98% of mine will drop 2# to 4# over a few thousand shots..

bearbowman

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 04:05:50 pm »
Thanks guys. I left my last bow a little heavy. It's the best tiller job I've done to date and I didn't want to screw it up by trying to take a few pounds off. Truth be told it doesn't feel bad and it spits the arrow out pretty good.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 04:38:59 pm »
I had one ash bow that gained about ten pounds over five years. I think the moisture content was a little high when I made it, and the wood was quick-dried.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 04:46:40 pm »
Hmmmm....I'm surprised that a couple of very experienced guys would say "none".  ???

This means that when you measure the poundage of a self bow, it will be the same every time regardless of when you measure it: long term or short term, after a few shots or after hundreds, pausing at full draw or "snap" shooting, in humid or dry weather, hot or cold, etc.

This is what you would expect of modern, synthetic materials, not wood.

Or maybe I'm using the wrong kind of wood?  If so, I need to get me some of that "magic wood" stuff. ;)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 05:13:33 pm »
You must be referring to my answer Jackcrafty. Go back and read Bearbowman's question. Lots of variables with natural materials as you alluded to. But a well made bow, with the right moisture content, I would not expect to lose any weight even after ten thousand shots. But then I mostly use hickory and osage and if anything and I will get weight gain. My draw length is short, and that is one major element in a bow's longevity. That and experience.

ART B

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »
This means that when you measure the poundage of a self bow, it will be the same every time regardless of when you measure it: long term or short term, after a few shots or after hundreds, pausing at full draw or "snap" shooting, in humid or dry weather, hot or cold, etc.

Patrick, the draw weight of a wooden bow will vary based on various enviromental factors. But that was not what the poster was asking about. Environmental factors notwithstanding, a well executed wooden bow should maintain it's weight for most of it's useful life after the bow has been tillered, sanded and broke in.
Gordon

Offline Timo

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 06:43:32 pm »
I think the key question here is "after break in"? If a bow is weighed along the tillereing process and one gets to the weight they want,they shoot it a while and then finish it. It ain't broke in, so yes it can loose weight.

A dry wood,well tillered,shoot in bow,(before finish) should stay close to original,even after much shooting,(after finish). Long brace times come into play here.I suppose if a bow was braced for a year(exagerations here) it would lose integrity,therefore losing weight.

Many variable to consider,but as for an answer to the question, then I would have to agree with Art and Gordon on this one.

The key in my mind is shooting the unfinished bow along in the process,whether @ 20" or 22" etc. I have learned to brace my bows and sweat them for long periods of time as I am working the wood off, gaining ground on intended weight.This of course helps the wood to attain a new memory, and allows the wood to respond to removal. (sometimes we get impatient),So there are fewer surprises.

Just my two pennys.:)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:46:41 pm by Timo »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 06:58:23 pm »
Art, I went back an re-read Bearbowman's question.  If I understand it correctly, he is wanting to know if a self bow made from seasoned wood will loose weight after "breaking in".  Breaking in meaning that the bow has taken all the set it will take and will not deform further.

OK then......so the answer is no, there will be no loss of poundage...but perhaps a gain?  Isn't an increase in weight related to the further drying/seasoning of the wood (an environmental factor)?  Or is it due to something else?  I remember reading something about the structure of the wood changing over time but the issue is controversial and not proved (as far as I know).

Gordon, so a bow should not use weight during its useful life.  And if you exclude environmental factors, wood will act exactly like a synthetic bow material?

I guess I'm still too new at this.  I'm a bit confused :-\

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »
After break in, it should not loose weight. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!