Author Topic: R/D BBI from a KnightD blank. plenty of pics  (Read 10592 times)

Offline Jesse

R/D BBI from a KnightD blank. plenty of pics
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:30:38 pm »
 This is a reflex deflex bamboo backed ipe bow made from a blank I got from David Knight. I cant say enough about the quality of the blanks he is making. The wood combos are his doing. All I had to do was put on overlays and tiller it down to the draw weight. I asked him for a blank that was a bit heavy and he had some lighter colored ipe that just about refused to bend and when I got it the tiller was close but the weight was high which is what I asked for. I could have made it a 70#er but my shoulder has been a bit sore from being back to work so 54# is plenty ;D I spent a good deal of time with David on the phone and emailing him pics of the progress and he pretty much walked me through it. Not that I dont know what Im doing but Im not to proud to take advice from someone who knows better ;)
The woods are, osage underlays, bacote overlays, mystery wood and hickory power lams, osage, king wood, and shedua handle.
The dye job on the bamboo is an idea I got from Ryano and he told me how to do it. I used what I had on hand which was rit dye,some arrow dye,and india ink. I think the whole bow came out great. My favorite backed bow so far for sure. I dont think you need me to tell ya its fast :o Ended up 54#@27" 64"ntn 1 1/4" reflex past the handle when unstrung
Here's the pics. Sorry so many pics but I couldn't choose. Shes a photogenic bow ;D

tip underlays

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

Re: R/D BBI from a KnightD blank. plenty of pics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:43:06 pm »
Ya gotta watch that "lighter" Ipe ;D  Looks great Jesse! I really like the limb outline and dye job. Handle is beautiful as well.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:52:01 pm »
Thanks Rich. Watch that lighter ipe for what ???
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:32:14 pm »
Very nice job on that bow.  That dye job is awesome, it is really tough to get a nice finish on boo.  David does make some wicked blanks. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:35:19 pm »
Wow - that is one fine bow. Thanks for some decent pictures, too :-* This is a seriouis candidate for April LBOM, folks.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:56:53 pm »
I must say that you done a great job.. The handle work is SWEET! and the tiller and those limb tips are  :o.. Great job!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:53 pm »
HOT DANG! That looks nice Jesse!  I bet it shoots good too.  You done a heck of a job finishing it too.  Very nice. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:01 am »
Wow Jesse, that dye job is mesmerizing!  :o  ;D I think it needs a leather grip to break it up a little, kind of messes with my eyes. Looks great though. Good job. The tiller is spot on on that one. David does no wht he's doing, I've never seen one of his bows or blanks other than on here but I tell by the unbraced profile that they are sweet shooters. He has that smooth even reflex going that we were talking about on the phone the other day.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:41:28 am »
Thanks for the compliments guys.
David Im glad you like the end product. I had a great head start :)
Ryan I was thinking about a leather grip but I can't get myself to glue anything over the wood. Might just put something on without glue for hunting but the wood handle feels good to me. Thanks for the tips on the dye job. About halfway through it was getting ugly but I just kept going and it came out good :) Would you believe I used osage dye, purple heart dye,cocoa brown rit dye,dark green rit dye,and india ink ;D Thats everything I have ;D The pictures make everything look a bit brighter. Its a darker shade in real life and the osage and king wood are a bit darker as well.

--Frank A. Clark

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:53:18 am »
WOW...that is a beauty :o

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 01:25:17 am »
Wow, that's a stunning bow.  Now you need to get some blood on that sucker....shoot...and KILL!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 07:51:59 am »
Very nice Jesse,that's a beauty.Very nice all of it. Love the tip and tiller looks great also. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 08:26:50 am »
Wow Jesse, she sure is purty...and this time I'm definitely talking about the bow! ;D Beautiful tips and the dye job is very attractive...might have to talk to you about it during the Classic while sitting around the campfire some morning. Great looking bow all around, and I'd bet it's very capable in the performance category as well! Nice! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:59 am »
Well Jesse not sure what I can add to what the others have said, so I will just say very nicely done :)
And looking forward to seeing it person
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 09:01:59 am »
Jesse, that looks great! That dye job is cool, love those tips, too. I've got a good idea about how fast it is. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.