Author Topic: A character bow named "Two face" Not for botm.  (Read 9911 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
A character bow named "Two face" Not for botm.
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:16:08 pm »
Well, here it is all finished up. This bow is pretty neat. The top limb is snaky Vine maple from Gordon with a black walnut tip overlay. The matching lower limb blew into about three pieces on me after it had already been shot a bunch, the tiller was perfect, I think it was just to dry since I had done heat corrections on that limb several times during tillering. That coupled with the knots on the back, anyways...The new lower limb is made of Wild Apple I had cut on my mothers property. The original top limb to that bow blew after having several arrows put through it also. This time it was my fault as cut to deeply into the handle for a arrow shelf and violated the splice that held the billets together. Lesson learned there. Anyways, as you could imagine I was pretty upset about the vine maple bow because it was really pretty and a nice shooter, not to mention the only piece of Vine maple I ever laid my hands on.  I don't know what exactly made me think of the lower limb of that apple bow, for some reason I had saved it in the closet in the computer room. Well I got it out and started looking at it and got to thinking.....You know this is almost the same length, draw weight, and handle shape/size as the VM bow was......I thought about splicing the to together to make one good bow but I wasn't sure how to go about it since the handle areas where so narrow and one had already been Z spliced and the other one W spliced...I got to wondering if I could cut the through the handle the other way, you know belly to back since it would give me more gluing surface...? So, I figured ah why not? What did I have to lose? Right. Well, hear is what she turned out like. I added a raw hide grip wrap to ensure the strength of the splice, and some Rat snake trimmings I had laying around from Greg's bow. She is 64" ntn and pulls 55#@27"  It also has a ambidextrous shelf. Well enough rambling what do you all think?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

Re: A character bow named "Two face" Not for botm.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:18:12 pm »
More pictures, yes thats snow in April !  :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:20:28 pm »
Cool bow and a great idea..

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:26:48 pm »
One of a kind bow Ryan and a great save, but are you sure the tiller was perfect on the VM and not just ok ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:28:29 pm »
Thanks David.
Dana, sure I'm sure.... :P  ::)  ;)

Offline Barrage

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:12:41 pm »
Nice job Ryan and neat idea.
Travis

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »
wow that turned out real nice.  I remember reading somewhere on here where you were thinking about doing the splice.  Glad to see the finished product came out so well.  You should be real proud of that one.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 03:42:45 pm »
Good job Ryan, Nice grip. Thats some thick rawhide  where did you get it? From a dog chew bone. (Frankenbow lives)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:05:44 pm »
  Great save Ryan. I like the mindset of not giving up on a bow or limb or in this case two "half" bows.  Did you notice much difference in the shooting response of the limbs being different type wood?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 04:16:06 pm »
Nice recovery! I like that fact that you spliced it the way you did since it's not the norm. I'll be giving it a try.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 04:36:11 pm »
Cool. got a picture of a full draw by chance ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 04:42:12 pm »
Good job, i really like the look of that. Man you guys got HAMMERED out there didnt you! we only got a dusting out of that storm.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 04:53:07 pm »
Great job Ryan. How's the timing on the limbs? Got much hand shock? Just wondering as I have never worked with either apple or VM.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 04:57:58 pm »
Pretty bow and good save! Are you going to bring that bow  to the shoot next month? We had about 3.5 inches of snow this morning but its all gone now.( Thank God) ;)

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 05:22:12 pm »
Great salvage job Ryan!! I like it!! Looks great! God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas