Author Topic: only 2 months into it  (Read 2938 times)

Offline sailordad

only 2 months into it
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:02:06 pm »
well i have only been knapping for about 2 months now.
i have wasted my share of rock and obsidion so far,just trying to learn.
for the most part i have had to figure everything out on my own.
watched alot of you tube vids,been to one knapp in.but didnt really get to much one on one time
with anyone of experience.did get some pointers and all.bought some chert and some slabbed obsidion.
went thru the chert and made a few(by my standards)nice points,nothing real big.mostly birds points but a couple i would use on deer.
i have been having the hardest time trying to make anything from obsidion other than silica dust.
well i have been playing with one piece of the slabbed obsidion and developed a real long line of step hinges.
so i tokk my bopper and bopped it all off and started over.
well i have been working on this piece for about a week and half now,off and on.
had no idea what i was going to make,just thought i would let the glass tell me what it wanted to be.
well i took my time and managed to get all of the flat sawed sides off of the piece, and i think i ended up with nice convexity.
well by time i had all the saw makrs off of it,it just wanted to be a certain shape and size.
now this is definatly my largest point so far,one of my nicest also and my only one from obsidion.
the chert i worked needed so much more force and pressure to work it.when i started working on this i took awhile before i figured out to go easy on it.
but i think i have done well for being self taught and am proud as hell of this point
hers a pic or two,thanks for looking

peace,
                                                                                   tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: only 2 months into it
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:24:37 pm »
   Tim, you ought to be proud as all get out with that point. There isn't a thing wrong with that one. And, man, it is thin. and I really like those blanks, too.  Oh, nice Bic, also. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:28:56 pm »
Good for you.that is perty darn nice for sure. When I was two months in....I was still whackin my fingers! :) You really need to get to someone and get some one on one time....It will really help you with the learning curve.

If it is in  you(And I can see that it is) you will someday really surprise yourself.

Stay at it bro.:)

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:21:22 pm »
Wish I was even close to that at two months...more like a couple of years.

Keep after it, looking forward to seeing what you do in the future.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:24:39 pm »
Damn fine point Tim, now don't go dropping it on the concrete :o ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 06:03:44 pm »
2 months!!!!!!! i was still in the "making a big pile of debitage" phase
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:30:19 pm »
That's a BEAUTY!!  Great job on that point! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Staver

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:43:10 pm »
Great job!! 8)  I'm looking forward to seeing some of your posts 2 more months from now!  Joe H