Author Topic: BBI from KnightD ( not for BOM )  (Read 6912 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: BBI from KnightD ( not for BOM )
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 11:50:55 am »
Awesome job Shanon. You do some fine work. I just put the finishing touches on a blank I got from David and your right he does build a fine blank.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 11:52:13 am »
Just have to ask because somebody has to :) WHY NOT FOR BOM?
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 01:17:55 pm »
That's easy Jesse...I didn't make it.  David knight actually made the bow. I just touched it up and finished it.
 All the knowledge and knowhow came from him.
  If Oldbow wants to include it, that's OK. But I don't want any credit for actually making the bow. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 03:41:39 pm »
Well thats what I thought was the reason but the way I see it you are giving him credit by saying its made by him.  If its in BOM he would share the credit with you. I know what you mean though. All you have to do is doctor it up to make it look purdy :) Im in the same boat but I think Im gonna include mine in BOM just as long as everyone knows I had more than a little help from David. You did a great job on finishing it.  :)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Keenan

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 04:10:38 pm »
 Wow Shannon, That is one of the best looking bows I've seen. excellent in every way. Congratulations.   Keenan

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 10:35:09 pm »
Very nice job on that one guys.  The overlays look great.  Great finish on a great blank.  David's blanks are awesome to work and shoot.  Well done.
Traverse City, MI

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 01:59:07 pm »
Awesome job Shannon!  You always do an incredible job on the tip overlays too.
south central VA

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 05:17:55 pm »
Thank you all again. :)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

MAK

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 07:28:23 am »
Gorgeous!

DCM

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 07:52:42 am »
I thought I reckonized those nock overalys before I saw yer mug.  Nice.

I'm really enjoying that elm stave.  Got it broke down and one bow laid out.  Hope to get it on a caul today, it's still fairly thick.

You gotta try a FF string sometime.  If you'll email me your snail mail address I'll send you a piece of a spool.  dcm4@comcast.net

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 08:13:32 am »
Yep....me and David were close to making a Deal on one of His Blanks at the Classic....but I didn't get back with Him....I guess I really do now though....that is a really Sweet looking Bow Shannon....and I have to get me one too....but don't put cher eye out on one of them there Tips...eh!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 03:05:17 pm »
Sawfiler, that is a great looking bow. Tiller is awesome too! Wish I could do that well.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 03:37:24 pm »
Good lord! Thats one nice bow Shannon!!!  You going to use a thumb ring to shoot it with?  Davids making some dang nice laminate boths these days. Had a great conversation a few days back about the whole process. Dont know if I will ever be as good as he is but WOW thats a nice one!!!

David T (AKA: Tiller)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

DCM

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:40 am »
Shannon,

I've used FF for 8 or so years, on everythng from hackberry to osage, yew even.  Very rarely do I use an overlay, unless on a backed bow and only for aesthetics.  If you shape the nock properly, a little more curve perhaps but yours are fine, you create enough bearing surface, without any sharp points to concentrate the forces, you'll be fine.  I've had exactly one nock failure, with a piece of burl mesquite that split out the top.  I generally use 12 to 14 strands, depending upon what serving I'm using, and unless it's really soft wood like yew I don't build up the loops.  On the yew bow I used 18 strands in the loops, the one you looked at w/ the really really tiny heartwood rings.  It was Fetrow yew billets and while you may not remember Jim, trust me when I say those billets were a treasure and I would not risk the bow for any reason.

Can anyone else here testify similarly?

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 01:31:34 pm »
Beautiful bow, Shannon.  I missed seeing you at the Classic.  I wanted to show you the elm bow I made from the stave I got from you last year.  This bow here is fantastic.   You are quite the artist with your woodworking and dyeing.

Dan