Author Topic: Scrap piece cracked locust  (Read 3748 times)

Offline greenstick

Scrap piece cracked locust
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »
 This bow has been a good learning bow. It started out as a piece of scrap black locust cut off the side of a larger stave. After tillering for brace height a couple of cracks developed. One at a knot, and the other at end limb in a lateral way. I was done with it , file 13,into the scrap pile to burn, as an offering to the bow gods.
 Two days later, after reading a page on glues, I resurrected it from its doom. With the help of Super Glue, Tite Bond II ,and artificial sinew,the healing began. For what it's worth,this is the finished bow. My boy took a liking to it,at 54"long, and about 40#@24",he says it fun to shoot.[/img]

I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Scrap piece cracked locust
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:18:45 pm »
Good for you for not destroying your bow. I save all "reject" bows and have resurected some nice ones from the throw away pile.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:28:40 pm »
Good for you. Well done and nice tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Staver

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:47 pm »
Great job!!! :D  I have a stick that I'd like to bring back to life... also a piece of black locust... It's a little recurve that has a transverse crack in the top mid limb.  You've inspired me to put some medicine on it and try to make it work.  Thanks!! 8) 8)  Joe H

Offline greenstick

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:26:30 am »
  Thanks STAVER, I hope more new self bowers don't give up,but try a little harder. The satisfaction alone is worth it all.
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:33:33 am »
Nice save !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:06:04 pm »
Yup never give up until it breaks, every stave you try you learn something. well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:27:23 pm »
Nice job, :) Congrats on a successful repair. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:39:43 pm »
Good for your son and for you! He gets a bow, and you learned some to make you better in your skills. That's what I love!

Offline greenstick

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:16 pm »
 I think the best part is he( my son) has been outside shooting it , and hasn't been playing the video games. Thank God.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 05:38:06 am »
I'm not sure which is greater.  You saving a doomed bow, or a kid choosing the bow over mind numbing video games.  Great save, the tiller looks really good especially that gnarly section.  Very nice bow.
Traverse City, MI