Author Topic: First Osage Bow  (Read 5868 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
First Osage Bow
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:22:39 am »
I am going to attempt my first Osage bow and would like a little help.  I have attached two pictures of the only staves I could get (ended up driving 1400 miles to get them- long story).  I will use one for my son, so will not need the entire length.  They are 72" long and 59" at the bend.  I hope to get a 55# bow.  Are these bendable with heat/steam?  Should I go for a 59" bow....any suggestions would help.  Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First Osage Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:00:28 am »
I would go with 59,don't think you will get that out,what is your draw and you son's.If it ant to long 59 will work fine. Rule I use is double the draw and add the handle and ,non moving part of the bow. :) you can go with a 4 in. handle and 1in. fades.I have done that a lot on shorter stave's to get more workable limb. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HoBow

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:19:34 pm »
Draw length is 27"...I guess that would help!  My son is 4, so I know I can get one for him.....59" is cutting it close based on your rule....do you think it will work?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:27:27 pm »
Jeff head on up to the Classic and we will help you figure it out

Ron

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:50 pm »
I'd go with a 59in bend through the handle bow, how wide are the staves?
VB

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:27:26 am »
if im not mystqking it looks like them stave are at least 4 1/2 - 5" wide  and if that is the case i would almost want to say i would try and split on of the halfs into quaters and still get a descant bow from it at  that length with 2" wide staves you should be able to produce a good 50# plus bow from it especialy if you go to the classic and if you drove that far to get the staves id say drive out to the classic where these pros can really help you out... wish i was going...

good luck..
and are you going to be backing the bows or just attempting a one peive self bow... 

and yea i'd probably try a bend throught the handle D style bow on a quarter stock if you split it again...

jmo.. ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:59:26 am »
I still think 59 would work for you at 27 that is just a rule of thumb I use but not cut in stone,folks make them all the time shorter than that with good success,like VB said you can always make a bend through the handle. You just need to really take you time tillering and go slow and work the wood a lot as you go.Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:18:28 am »
I've built alot of 58" bows with a 28" draw. It can been done with ease.The main problem that you will find out is making weight. Depending all the tiller,you will have to use all the wood you can,be mindful and as Pappy says, go slow. Very doable.

Offline HoBow

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:58:21 am »
Staves are 4" on the dot..I will most likely not back it if I do not have to....thanks for all the good advice....I am going to dry and make it to the TN Classic....How family friendly is it?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:06 am »
Probably the most family friendly place on the planet, super nice bunch of folk.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:48:01 am »
Howdy Jeff,

I'm hardly an expert.  But, I've made a bow or two and have been lingering on this site for a while now (osmosis).  With that, I would suggest that you seal the ends of those staves.  (I use a couple layers of glue.)

Furthermore, if this is going to be your first try at bow making, I'd suggest you head down to your local lumber dealer and pick yourself out a board that has straight grains running the whole length of the board on a side and on the edge(s) (and longer than 60").  This would be a better starter bow.  And, depending on the size board you buy, you can get more than one bow from a board.  Go with hardwood; oak, maple, hickory...

Have fun at the Tenn. Classic.

Best of luck,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

DCM

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:50:41 am »
Might consider parting off the straight pieces and then joining as billets.  Or even take sister billets from each end and get two bows.  Heck, I might even try to find a bow from joined billets on the knarly end.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:44 am »
Ok, I've gotta ask about the 1400 miles. Just curious

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline HoBow

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 03:59:53 am »
Canoe, I have made some red oak board bows and a hickory bow.....I followed the path most due- I suspect.  Bought The Bent Stick, Hunting the Osage Bow, the Bowyer Bibles, etc, and spent a lot of time on here and a few other sites.  Just learning through trial and error I guess.  I'm doing my best ot to waste theses staves as I do not have any access to them where I live.  Quite honestly it is probably early to be trying osage from all I've read about its difficulties, but what the heck.....

DCM, Never have attempted to join billets- quite honestly not confident enough to try that yet.  Perhaps that might be something I pick up at the Classic. 

Tracy- I live on the gulf coast.  I had to go to a few meetings up in Ohio and decided to drive knowing I would try and find some osage and hoped to bring it back (not sure the airlines would appreciate me using my luggage allowance as wood).  I spent a few days in meetings and thought I would spend a day trying to get some wood- driving around looking and stopping to ask about it as needed......well, I ended up spending three days roaming around before I found a gentlement that said I could have some.    He was an older retired farmer that ended up taking me down to the area in his truck and helping me get several pieces.  I was surprised when I saw what looked to be 5 years worth of firewood- all osage.  He bragged how good of firewood it made and he thought that was all it was good for.  He was quite surprised I told him it is suppose to be one of the best bow woods.  Well,   I cut way to much and ended up leaving some up in his barn and he said I could come up and get it if I ever got a chance.....I got his name and address and offered to try and make him a bow out of the wood if I could (I told him he may get a nice osage walking stick and he laughed and said I didn't have to do anything.)  My wife thought I was crazy when I pulled into the driveway and had my luggage in the front seat loaded to the roof.  I had laid down the seats and had my trunk loaded tight with wood (I did not tell her this was the reason why I drove up to the meetings).  I have since found out that I have some customers up in central Alabama that offered to help me get some if I ever wanted- perhaps the next batch will not be as difficult to get and take home.....
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 08:32:27 am »
If those were billets instead of staves I'd let 4" or so of the bent section be your limb tips. You might still could do that on one limb and try to steam or heat and flip the other tip to match...would be a way also for a longer bow from those staves. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...