Author Topic: band saw & gas masks!  (Read 4898 times)

Offline billy

band saw & gas masks!
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:55:34 pm »
Decided to cut up some big osage logs today.  Since I didn't want to breathe any of the osage dust and I really don't trust those stupid dust masks, I decided to don my gas mask and proceed to reduce the big osage staves.  The gas mask worked great, I cut up some osage, and I got some funny pictures to boot.  The bottom pic is just a small sample of the osage staves I cut.  Enjoy!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: band saw & gas masks!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:04:52 pm »
looks like some future arrow slingers for sure.. thanks for sharing... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:09:30 pm »
HEy, check out the big hole in that one stave....it's a peep sight for.....for.....um......  A MISSLE LAUNCHER!!  YEAH!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:15:15 pm »
funny billy - looks like your outfitted for more than just cuttin logs :). That's some purty yalla wood ya got there.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:28:09 pm »
Dang, thats a kick a## bandsaw!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:14:27 pm »
Nice mask and bandsaw! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
Never seen an extraterrestrial bowyer before. ;D I'm like Ryan-I've got bandsaw envy now. That's a beast!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 10:48:07 pm »
Good thing you have a monster bandsaw for that osage :o.  Those are some big pieces.  I like the gas mask, you never know when you might need one.
Traverse City, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:12 pm »
I too liked the bandsaw, that mask makes ya look like a psycho, lol, just kidding, at least you can sleep knowing you didn't breath that stuff.
VB

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:13:38 pm »
ahhh.what a stud...with the gas mask you look like some thing out of  a scary movies..ATTACK OF OSAGE MAN...love the staves...are you working wood now...thanks for sharing.john

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 11:28:04 pm »
Hahaha....everyone seems to love that bandsaw...  My mom's boyfriend actually GAVE me that saw...that's right, it was FREE!!  He owns a machine shop in Charlottesville, VA.  That saw was given to him several years ago and he didn't use it anymore, so when I started asking him what a big bandsaw costs.....well, he made my year by just giving me the thing!  Getting it back home to Georgia....well, that was another story. 

I had to return several months later with my friend's pickup truck.  When we loaded that thing into the back of the truck I thought it was gonna smash the rear axle....we slid it down a ramp and it crashed into the bed of the truck....the truck bottomed out BAD.  I drove the 10 hours back home and got it back to GA.  But I had to have a friend come over with a Bobcat to pull it outta the truck.  I don't know what that saw weighs, but it has to be at least 800 pounds.  The main frame of the saw is one piece and is cast iron I think....and that SOB is HEAVY.   I sure hope I don't have to move it again....but I probably will.  Oh well.   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline yazoo

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:50:20 pm »
how did you mark the staves so that you did not violate the longitutal grain,?
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 08:25:02 am »
Nice bunch of wood,love the saw but don't think I could stand the gas mask. My saws are out side so I don't worry to much about the dust. You kind of look like supper fly. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 11:01:17 am »
Those staves are pretty straight so I didn't have to worry much about violating the longitudinal grain.  Even if I did, I've made bows where I've violated the grain and it didn't make a hoot of difference.....they're still shooting to this day!
Marietta, Georgia

DCM

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 11:14:29 am »
Love the saw.

If it put a 1/2 ton on it's axel "bad" then more like 1200# minimum.  Looks like a honkin beast though.  Did you have to run 220v to it?  I'm thinkin yeah.