Author Topic: sinew backing and vertilcal crack  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Blacktail

sinew backing and vertilcal crack
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:42:56 pm »
does any one have experience with this...its a crack that is 3inches and on a short stick that is 44inches...i just trying to save the wood as much as possible.thanks john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sinew backing and vertilcal crack
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:22:01 pm »
Crack(or check?) on the back or belly?  If the back, the sinew should take care of it. If the belly, it shouldn't be a problem unless the crack(check?) runs off the side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »
 What kind of wood John?  As a general rule of thumb most lenial cracks wont hurt unless running out the sde of the limb. Fill with super glue and sinew over if you can

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 06:40:06 pm »
hey guys...its a crack on the belly...and it does not go all the way through...and its yew wood...and no it dont run off...does this help any..thanks john

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:49:08 pm »
as long as it runs lengthwise along the limb then you're fine, especially considering you plan to sinew back it.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:18:48 pm »
My everyday shooter is a sinew backed osage flatbow and it has linear cracks from the fadeouts almost to the tips.  None run out the limb edge and I bet some go all the way through to the sinew.  For the first few years it would give out with the most frightening clicks, clacks, ticks, tocks, pings, sproings, etc, but she ain't blown yet.  I tried filling the cracks with superglue, but ran out of money and was ruining some really good squirrel habitat. 

I would love to say I knew what I was doing, but I didn't even make this bow, my bow mentor did.   In polite company she is known as "The crack addict". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 07:18:59 pm »
I don't know what else you could do besides shoot it up with superglue. Did you cause it or is it a drying crack? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!