Author Topic: History Channel - Warriors  (Read 45455 times)

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
Re: History Channel - Warriors
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 07:13:18 pm »

Grow up John ::) Grow up...

Your turn with the brain cell eh? Well done Nick. Good night.

nick1346

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 07:17:30 pm »
I thought it was great, well done Steve. Very very funny. Just what we need in a world full of troubles, some comedy to cheer us up. Good job mate, keep it up.  :)
So exactly what did you find funny about it John, yes there was some entertainment in it but if you find the story of Agincourt a comedy then I'm embarrassed for you.
Sarcasm is a terrible thing John.
Maybe when you do something for this sport, I can congratulate you in the same manner.

Steve

Oh for heavens sake Steve - don't take yourself so seriously!! Its a fantastic achievement to be on TV - many people aspire to just 15 seconds and it looks like you got a good chunk of the programme - something for the grandchildren to look at.And you dressed up for the occasion too -  reminded me of, I don't know, maybe Michael Praed circa 1984? Maybe next time bigger hair? Or tights, yes thats it, tights - and some athletic running through the woods.

C

Yes it was good good Chris wasn't it.  You'd be surprised to hear exactly who used to dress up in that, but then you would not make slights like to that to him >:D But then as it's Steve that must be ok.

nick1346

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 07:24:42 pm »

Grow up John ::) Grow up...

Your turn with the brain cell eh? Well done Nick. Good night.

As I said before... ::)

Offline adb

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 07:34:15 pm »
Hmmm... I thought we were going to stop the childish behaviour on this segment of this forum? Admins?

Steve... well done mate. I think maybe someone got 180 fps mixed up with 180 mph. Not many people, besides us, can relate to fps... but mph makes more sense to Joe public. I do think this show was the most accurate description of real warbows and their use. I also think Steve was an excellent candidate for the producers to resource. His passion for heavy bows is obvious and extensive. Are you guys who are being critical jealous? All these internet "experts" are comical.

stevesjem

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 11:19:16 pm »
Look if this carries on the admins will shut this forum area down, who can blame them, obviously this will not benefit anyone.

To be honest I am a bit tired of having to defend myself, any opportunity to have a go, seems to be the attitude of some users, this is not the only forum that these few people have done this on.
I appreciate all of the positive comments and will not give any more of my time to the trouble makers.
They tell me to get a sense of humour, however if the boot was on the other foot they would not like it,
 I am now used to the hassle they & others enjoy dishing out.
If anyone would like to contact me in the future, please email me as I am done here.

Cheers everyone.
Steve
Signing off for good

Offline african man

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 12:18:11 am »
Hey Steve PLEASE don't go .... :'(  :'(  :'( .......
You are one of the most knowlagable guys on this forum

Chris   :'(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:31:18 am by african man »
we all die but we all don't live

triton

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 09:12:45 am »
I thought the clip was pretty good, mostly stuff I already know or take for granted, I also knew there were a couple of discrepencies but I was able to sort those out for what was really meant and saw what was "producers licence".  It's like when you get that pedantic git that carps on about spelling and grammer (grammar?), those with a modicum of common sense can usually work out what is being said.
Couple of years ago, I'd have said it was brilliant. 5 years ago it would haver been FANTASTIC.  these emotions are a reflection of my experience.  For those with little or no knowledge of the weapon it was probably 'fantastic' too.  see what I'm getting at?
There are those that don't appreciate there some that learn quick and get all prissy or close ranks among their clique when "that newby" starts offering advice or help, "who does he think he is?".
There's a fire starter in this topic who already owns his own forum, membership by invitation only.  He must have had a bad day and didn't feel like cuddling up with his buddies. Well it's Friday, fight or **** night, maybe he'd better go to the pub to vent his spleen.

Steve, I know we haven't seen eye to eye on more than one occasion but personally, I think that anything that undoes the myths that have been put across as fact in the past, should be applauded.  Well done.  ;D
I especially liked the part where shots are taken at ox bones.  close range shots maybe but it shows that anyone hit by those missiles in battle, weren't getting up again.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:39:33 pm by triton »

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 02:05:14 pm »
Triton Let's watch the foul  language or appearance of foul language. I have edited your post with the ** in it.   Thanks,    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

nick1346

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 06:18:40 pm »
Hey Nick why havent you answer your PM? Not once you answer your pm since the forum went down >:( Thank you Marlon

Sorry Marlon, but I have 23 pm's form june 2007 onwards none are form you ( that does not mean you did not send them only I haven't got them, in fact I got so awamped by it all via my emails I could not possilby have answered it all and I  am talking a huge volume), if you want me to go in to detail pm me and I'll give you my phone number mate it would be a very interesting conversation!

Cheers

Nick

Joe M

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 08:27:22 am »
I don't understand where this criticism of Steve is coming from?  If you watch the link posted of where Steve appeared in this program, he did not present any false information.  His only involvement in the program was the shooting the bow.

If you want to criticize someone in this program, criticize the Director & Producer for feeding the former Green Beret false information.  Don't criticize Steve.  He had nothing to do with that.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 11:06:41 pm »
  Man, you guy's are a piece of work. ::) You are really different then us in the States. Most of us on this board over here would be happy that one of the contributers got to participate on the History Channel. We know 90% of television is B.S. Just look at our politicians. :D  The majority of the people in the world, outside of England don't really care how fast a longbow shoots. I thought it was entertaining, and I don't know about ya'lls little ******* war.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:37:46 am by Rod »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 06:19:02 am »

lol

That's why we don't have guns over here; if we all had guns the entire population would be wiped out in a matter of weeks ;-)

Burner

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 07:12:41 am »
The Navy seal chap in the clip should ask for a refund on his steroids - They only seem to work on his neck (That's a joke BTW)
One a different note I saw some of the Mary Rose bows yesterday at a local exhibition and although I was expecting pretty rough looking bows they looked really well finished and the largest which oddly had one modern horn nock fitted from testing one presumes, looked like it could have shot extremely fast. A truly enormous bow it must have been the potentially 180lb i've seen mentioned in the books.

Aosda

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 03:22:29 am »
An excellent segment.  I love the history channel, sometimes you just have to filter the information and not take everything they say for fact.  I enjoyed watching Steve shoot, and his long distance grouping was pretty impressive.  Congrats on being asked to do a show for History Channel.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2009, 11:24:34 am »
I finally got to view the video clip and I must say Congratulations to the fellows shooting the longbows for the segment.
Nicley done and very impressive and informative.

BTW, as far as the History Channel goes, at least it attempts to put out some information on historical events and, perhaps, this may draw a few younger folks into our sport.

Also, the host of the show was a Green Beret, not a Navy Seal... bit of a difference between the two branches of the services...