Author Topic: History Channel - Warriors  (Read 45456 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: History Channel - Warriors
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 05:08:18 pm »
oh well it was a lot of fun doing it and it was nice to be asked by the History channel, it is a crying shame some people just can't enjoy it for what it is.
Steve

A bit of an odd thing to say for someone that has been very vocal about misinformation in the past
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

stevesjem

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 06:36:20 pm »
oh well it was a lot of fun doing it and it was nice to be asked by the History channel, it is a crying shame some people just can't enjoy it for what it is.
Steve

A bit of an odd thing to say for someone that has been very vocal about misinformation in the past

Well thanks for that Marc!

As you may recall a while ago a few of us were on this forum got a little heated and the Admin and Moderators (Including Yourself), got quite angry and as a result I apologised for my outbursts and decided it would be wise to tone things down a little, So I have, but you still find it necessary to critisze me Marc....Any particular reason?

Chris, I'm not being "Coy", i will be happy to post my results when my tests are complete, however i have never seen any of the archers that you normally shoot with use a chronograph and I do know most of them, so I will just have to take your word that they have. A flat bow is different to a longbow and much faster, so I don't doubt you have shot 350yds with one, I also have a flat bow that will shoot a huge distance and hope to compete with it later in the year, but none of that is really relevant is it?
The thread is about a TV program, not my test results or your flat bow distances and should be kept to that.

Steve

Offline heavybow

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:47 pm »
I liked the show it was nice. What poundage bow was the navy seal guy was trying to shoot? I was funny look on his face. :D Marlon

stevesjem

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 07:04:04 pm »
Hi Marlon,

The bow I gave him to shoot was about 80lb@32", yeah he did struggle a bit.

Cheers

Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 08:19:14 pm »
I saw the show and I enjoyed it very much, don't know beans about warbows but I think Steve did
very well and the whole clip was educational and although it may have contained some misinformation overall it served
its purpose by educating folks to the use of the warbow in medieval warfare. Congrats Steve I think you did a great job :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 09:43:40 pm »
No particular reason Steve, I just thought it was odd.  I guess it doesn't really matter as many of the people that watched the show most likely wouldn't know the difference anyway.  I haven't seen the show myself but I am sure it was instructional to many
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Nuss

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 11:09:17 pm »
 We all look at things differently. I must be one of the many people that watched the show and didn't know the difference, or care. Because the show was about so much more to me than the arrow speed mentioned in one part of the show.
 I liked the show a great deal, in my opinion I thought it was very well done.
 The show may have had some misinformation in some of the technical parts. And I will be the first to admit I have got lots to learn about this bow and the people that used them to shape history in the way that they did. One very important bit of information that I came away with from this show "Is that this great battle changed the way wars and battles would be fought in the future from that day forward. And that the bow that intrigues me so had such a big part in that.
 Just my opinion,
   Tim

May your arrows fly true and your camp fires burn bright.

stevesjem

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 04:55:05 am »
Thanks DanaM,

Also Tim, you are quite right the program was about more than just arrow speed, it is of course the reason my name is Steve and not Jean-Luc ;D

OK Marc, but you must admit your post was a bit provocative wasn't it?

Steve

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 01:40:01 pm »
I thought it was great, well done Steve. Very very funny. Just what we need in a world full of troubles, some comedy to cheer us up. Good job mate, keep it up.  :)

stevesjem

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 04:25:22 pm »
I thought it was great, well done Steve. Very very funny. Just what we need in a world full of troubles, some comedy to cheer us up. Good job mate, keep it up.  :)
So exactly what did you find funny about it John, yes there was some entertainment in it but if you find the story of Agincourt a comedy then I'm embarrassed for you.
Sarcasm is a terrible thing John.
Maybe when you do something for this sport, I can congratulate you in the same manner.

Steve

Offline ChrisD

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 05:57:38 pm »
So exactly what did you find funny about it John, yes there was some entertainment in it but if you find the story of Agincourt a comedy then I'm embarrassed for you.
Maybe when you do something for this sport, I can congratulate you in the same manner.

Steve

Oh for heavens sake Steve - don't take yourself so seriously!! Its a fantastic achievement to be on TV - many people aspire to just 15 seconds and it looks like you got a good chunk of the programme - something for the grandchildren to look at.And you dressed up for the occasion too -  reminded me of, I don't know, maybe Michael Praed circa 1984? Maybe next time bigger hair? Or tights, yes thats it, tights - and some athletic running through the woods.

C
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:00:46 pm by ChrisD »

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 06:07:57 pm »
Oh dear, I seem to have got the wrong end of the stick there; you mean it wasn’t supposed to be funny?

Steve

Well since you ask, the statement that bows were 200lb is quite amusing. Then the claim and I quote “Our Steve, one of the best bowmen in the world” really? There are a hell of a lot of archers in the world. That is quite some claim.

As for my views on Agincourt, I could rise to that one… but I don’t think I’ll bother.

Personally I think sarcasm is great.

stevesjem

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 06:21:49 pm »
Well the bow weight as far as I remember was up to 180lb, also I have no control over what the presenter said on camera,

The implication that an enormous contribution has been made by someone else who shall remain nameless has been deleted by Rod
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:35:47 am by Rod »

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 06:29:56 pm »
Get a sense of humour Steve!!

nick1346

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 06:56:38 pm »
Oh dear, I seem to have got the wrong end of the stick there; you mean it wasn’t supposed to be funny?

Steve

Well since you ask, the statement that bows were 200lb is quite amusing. Then the claim and I quote “Our Steve, one of the best bowmen in the world” really? There are a hell of a lot of archers in the world. That is quite some claim.

As for my views on Agincourt, I could rise to that one… but I don’t think I’ll bother.

Personally I think sarcasm is great.

Grow up John ::) Grow up...