Author Topic: any ideas for an Aztec or Myian bow???  (Read 5182 times)

Shooter_G22

any ideas for an Aztec or Myian bow???
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:48:39 am »
I dont know if i spelled that correctly but here goes,

does anybody know any history or maybe have any pictures of what an Aztec bow would look like or even a "Myian"  bow...   im almost certian i mispelled that..!

pictures..

El Dustructo...   i know you might know this one???   

really any help would be cool.. 
thanks..

Offline wolfsire

Steve in LV, NV

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: any ideas for an Aztec or Myian bow???
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:43:28 am »
The Mayans and Pre-Columbain Indians were more into Spears and Blow Guns than Bows....the Aztecs used Atlatl's and Flint Pointed Shafts...but did have Bows called Tlahuitolli....which were 5 foot long....basic D Bow design....and also they used Tematlatl's.....a basic Slingshot for Weapons...and a Sling for throwing rocks ...just like in the Bible...and Maquahuitl's......a basic Club like Weapon....but there is very little info on their Bows
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:46:37 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:20:55 am »
El Destructo is right on about the nature of Aztec bows.   Meter and a half long simple D bows.  The bow reached the Maya lowlands around 1200 AD and they used the same style.  Prior to around AD 900, there is no evidence for any bow use in Central and Southern mexico or central america.   In terms of wood, the Aztecs of central Mexico had access locally to a Mexican hickory species and various tough oaks (and other things probably).   They probably traded for staves of more exotic woods from central america.

Dave

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:17:00 pm »
If you are fixin to make a Mayan bow, just make sure you get it done by 2012 ;).
Traverse City, MI

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:21:28 am »
lol...hahahahhwhhheheheh!!!    you got that right brother!!!

damn mayan's and there time table's ..lol...   make everybody freak out 2012...   sooo advanced to predict everything and know all about the stars and have a very advanced civilization for their time era,  but cant design an advanced bow!!!  >:(   what the hell???   

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:13:26 am »
I just figure that the guy making the calender got to 2012 and said "good enough" and quit.  Now he has the whole word freaking out. ;D
Traverse City, MI