Author Topic: Bandsaw help  (Read 10630 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Bandsaw help
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:55:38 am »
I'm in the market for a bandsaw and I'm hoping you guys can help. I can't afford, nor do I have the space for a "real" bandsaw so I want to try to make do with a smaller bench top model for the time being. Currently I do most of my roughing out using a jigsaw followed by hand tools for getting the belly to the shape I want. I primarily do board bows right now. I know all the arguments for buying good tools versus junk or toys. I know of a few bowyers who have done okay using bench top models until they finally saw the need to upgrade to a floor model. So, any suggestions? I'd prefer to steer away from the Home Depot brand Ryobi as having worked there in the past I'm leery of the "house brand" tools (ie. Rigid, Ryobi). I know Craftsman makes a similar small model as does Grizzly. I also know that Menard's sells some off brand model that I've never heard of and that miter saws by this off brand have been implicated in fire causing tool failures so I'm not to wild about Menard's house brand either. This will primarily be used for roughing out the profile of bows and tillers for medieval crossbows as well as cutting risers and tip overlays. So, suggestions anyone?

Aosda

Re: Bandsaw help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:31:13 am »
Grizzly makes a 9" Bench Top here's the link $119.95

Delta also makes one too.  Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:40:43 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:01:31 am »
i surfed craigslist daily for a month looking around the state for a good bandsaw, found a few 12-14" models for around $100..... then talked my dad out of the one he hasnt used in 12 years   >:D . local classifieds might do the trick as well. best of luck.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:44:02 am »
Grizzly make some good stuff,I buy a lot from them,also I have some Craftsman saws and they work fine,I have never use the small bench models but I am sure they will be fine,just need to learn there limits,you aren't going to be able to rough out big stave's with one but from what you are saying
they should work fine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Olschool

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 06:56:39 am »
I've been working with an old Rockwell 10", but it's got a larger motor mounted. Also check out Timberwolf bandsaw blades, they are great, almost like having a larger size saw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:40 am »
I bought a Grizzly 9" benchtop saw a while ago and used it for a few years before I upgraded to a Grizzly 14". The 9" worked fine if not forced. You are limited to the size of stave you can saw and the size of blades for it.
  Check your local pawn shops and classifieds. During these hard times, lots of folks sell off tools to suppliment their incomes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline boo

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:57:06 am »
my first bandsaw was a delta from lowes hardware , its a great saw but being a benchtop 9'' model i found it way to small for bows. the blades dull fast and the motors are way to small. personally id say dont waist you money, get a 14'' right from the getgo and dont look back. i just bought one from lowes a month ago for 350 bucks . its a delta 14'' .
Boo

Danomite

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 02:23:14 pm »
If you're going to go with a benchtop bandsaw make sure the blade only runs on two wheels.  I've used a couple different benchtop models in the past with three wheels and they are a pain.  The blade doesn't stay on very well and they are a lot harder to adjust.  Use a grizzly benchtop until you have the space and money for a 14" grizzly and you won't be disappointed.

Offline okydoky

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 02:36:37 pm »
Wow...bought a Ryobi, reconditioned from a tool store. Great saw.  Buy the blades from Home Depot. The key may be the set-up. adjusted mine according to the talking heads in woodworking mags, and have had no problem cutting red oak, hickory, bamboo, etc. I use the Ryobi 3/8 blade. Yep, would like a better one too, but for now... I'm happy.
Don't outsmart your common sense!

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 03:36:26 pm »
Give it some serious thought, and if you can, save up for a bigger saw. Once you get more into bowmaking, you'll find you use the bandsaw more than any other power tool. My advice... get a good 14". I purchased a Craftsman Pro 14" 1HP, and I've never regretted spending the money.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 04:55:04 pm »
Howdy Kilt,

No matter what type bandsaw you end up with, I strongly recamend a guide book on tuning you bandsaw.
I found, 'The Bandsaw Book' by Lonnie Bird at a used book store.  It shows you all you have to know about setting up, tuning, and opperating your saw.  This can make the difference in reliability, a smooth cut, life of your saw blade, and safety.

And, No matter what type bandsaw you end up with wear your safety glasses! ;)

All the best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 06:47:56 pm »
I made a promise to myself that I would not buy a bandsw until I build a bow with only hand tools.

I did that this past fall....and then bought myself the 14" Delta from Lowes.

Oh.....my.....goodness......

Saves time like you would not believe....worth every penny!

If you can wait.....I know it is hard.....get one with at least a 1/2HP.....3/4 and up will be even better!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Grunt

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 07:48:11 pm »
Use the Timberwolf blades mentioned before as they are great. If you are cutting green wood you need a fairly coarse offset tooth, something like a 3/8" or 1/2"x 3 tpi. The coarse blade will give you enough kerf so your blade will not bind up. Finer blades generate heat which causes green wood to swell and grab your blade. Keep a small block of wax or a candle handy to wax your blade. Band saws can take a finger off in a heartbeat, be careful and let the tool do the work. If you find yourself forcing the wood and stalling the motor, change blades first. If that doesn't work get a bigger saw or stick a bigger motor on your existing saw. I've had three bandsaws over the years, now I'm using an 70 year old Yates-American 20" with a 2hp motor.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 08:32:11 pm »
What ever you do.....don't buy the 9 inch Craftsman 1/2 HP Bandsaw.....it's a piece of Doo-Doo.....I am going back to get a 14 inch ....the 9 inch will not track straight through a piece of Cedar....let alone Ash ...Hickory or Hedge.....spend the Money and get a good Saw
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 09:39:16 pm »
Well, the consensus seems to be that most bench top models are at best an exercise in frustration and worst are worthless for bow making. I think given the opinions I'm hearing I'd be better off waiting to afford a real floor model of saw and just skip the grief of an intermediate bench top model. I do pretty well roughing out with a jigsaw and then I always follow up with draw knife and spokeshave to get everything just right before tillering. Main reason I wanted to jump into getting a bandsaw finally is one of my side projects - a medieval crossbow. I wanted to use a bandsaw to rough out the shape of the crossbow tiller (stock). Now I think I'll stick to my old standby hand tools. I'd rather take three or four times as long than use a poor quality tool and ruin the whole project in a millisecond.