Author Topic: pecan board bow... (hope it makes it)  (Read 8091 times)

Shooter_G22

pecan board bow... (hope it makes it)
« on: April 01, 2009, 11:29:56 pm »
well folks,

have you ever had a bow you really like soo much while your making it that it just scares the heck out of you to continue the process..? :D :D :D

this one is just like that... and as i hold her and working her...   and i say "her" becuase she just feels feminine and if she makes it i must think of a good girly name for here.. this bow is definantly female... lol...

as i was working her i was just soo scared she was going to blow and had a little trouble with the backing around the handle area but i think i have fixxed that problem...   well she isnt perfect but i affraid if i try to do anythng else to here i think im going to mess it up... sooo im leaving her as is and see if she will make it through the break in or shooting in process....   if ther is any speacil prayer or bow dance or ceramony i could do to make sure this one makes i would definantly do it becuase i really like her...

specs:

pecan board
thin pecan backing
pecan riaser
glued with Tightbond III
58" tip to tip
56" nock to nock
tillered out to 27" draw or more like 28" safe...  but will shoot this one at 26-27 draw..

dont know the draw wieght.. still dont have a scale. but feels heavy high 40's maybe 50 at least hope so...

the bow has taking a lot of set (fine by me)

here are some qustions...   how can i or should i heat the belly and if i do will this effect the glued on backing??

i can live with this one taking set... and maybe if need be will put up for a long while befor sealing with poly... or laquer..

i have yet to seal her or even handle wrap her but i think i will or should i shoot her in first????

any advise appreciated???

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:38:08 pm by Shooter_G22 »

Shooter_G22

Re: pecan board bow... (hope it makes it)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:39:42 pm »
handle pics

Shooter_G22

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:41:49 pm »
tips

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:44:05 pm »
strung up!

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:52:04 pm »
draw on tiller stand...
1st pic   at 20"
2nd pic  at 24-25"
3rd pic   at 27"

i dont know im a little confussed on my tiller stand i made it myself and i thnk i might have it marked wrong...

if i have it at 27" mark on the tiller stand but i put a yard stick on the string and read off the yard stick then its 28"from string to the bows back or the back of handle...  sooo if i have it where the bow is on the satnd and on the 27"mark and i have a 28" arrow from iside nock to tip of arrow is 28" then it will be level with teh bows back...  soo im confussed alitle bit on this bu i think it will be safe for a 26-27" draw..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:16:06 am »
Well done!  She looks good.
  For me, most bows will name themselves given time. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 02:54:02 am »
Here's a question for ya Shooter.  Is your stick measured from the very end, or from the point on which the bow rests? If you have a 1" slot cut out of the tree and you measure that as 0, then you would have roughly a 1" difference in your actual drawlength and marked length on the tree.  On advise from other posts throughout, I marked my tree at the end of the wood as Zero, that way the back of the bow roughly meets the top of the tree.  Just my half cents.  And your bow looks great, I like the two tone pecan. ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:47:33 am »
Looks good Shooter, but why so short? If you had left it longer say 66" set would have been minimized
and the durability of the bow would also be greater. Also make a tiller tree its safer.
With that said congrats on your bow :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 07:52:32 am »
Shooter, I used to want to name bows, but I gave up, and they are just "the lemonwood bow, the sapling bow, the elm bow," etc.

Falling in love with one is dangerous emotionally until they are finished and broken in, at least for me.

Your work looks good. Nearly done?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 07:55:21 am »
I had a hickory backed pecan that I got from Marshrat in a trade.  It was 66" tip to tip, 60# @ 28" and held together fine.  What few times I have heated a bow with a backing, the backing did come unglued.

Offline John K

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 12:44:10 pm »
Looks great !  Congrats on a fine bow !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 03:45:42 pm »
Nice job Shooter. Good tiller on a short bow. I name all my bows, and yes, the name of the bow usually reveals itself somewhere along the way.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 05:02:21 pm »
looks great .  i have heat treated a bow backed with tb III once.  it was more like a flash fry than a heat treatment. but itworked.  just can't let the heat soak all the way through.  a small torch for plumbing is what i used.  i am pretty sure i got lucky though.  i have made a few pecan bows, sap/heartwood , looks awesome.  good job!!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 05:25:26 pm »
Looks very good. I like it. I measure draw from string to back of bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Shooter_G22

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 01:41:40 am »
thnk you,

for all the replies and nice comments..

i was wondering if i should clamp the bow in a deflex and then put several coats of poly or shelac or even a thin coat of epoxy on the back to help with the set...  or should i just poly it up as is and enjoy it as is???

i havnt done anything to it since the post its just sitting there and i might shoot it a bit this week end its only been shot about 30 times now...  but havent had time to play with here just yet...