Author Topic: Juniper Self Bow  (Read 28229 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Juniper Self Bow
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2009, 04:24:51 pm »
 Timo, Thank you.  The surgery went well. It was a little over three hrs and they removed 4 more pieces of ruptured disk fragments that were sitting right over the nerve. They were also able to shave down the other two disk that were bulging. I can now walk without severe pain and the constant pain in the leg and hip is gone ;D. Definitely sore from all the carving but getting better everyday.

Hawk, Thank you Brother!. The shirt I love and I appreciate your help and ideas. Lulyn is startting to worry that I will ware it 24/7  ::) ;D

John, Thank you Brother.  I think you give me to much credit though. There are so many top notch bowyers on this site that it is an honor even to be considered amongst them.

Cowboy;Thank you. The bird point is some new rock that I found at a garage sale. I think it's a type of agate ???  I think I will be trying more standing dead juniper as well.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 11:08:37 pm »
I'm doing catch up after a trip to AZ/NM. This bow really got my attention. Good job, Keenan. Great candidate for April Self BOM.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 11:28:42 pm »
    goregous man, the woods charecter itselfis stunnng, and the tiller being so good... awesome man, lookin foward to seeng more of youre work. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 11:39:56 pm »
Glad to hear your surgery went well, I've been there, 2 back surgeries and a total hip replacement. sure is nice when you get rid of that daily pain.
That wood is gorgeous, as is the whole bow. The leather grip is unique.
good luck with your recovery, take care of yourself.
VB

Offline Keenan

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 04:17:49 pm »
 Thank you Don. I hope your little getaway was enjoyable. Thanks again for all the hard work that you put into the BOM for all of us on this site.

Jimmy. Thank you.  Seems that I haven't finished very many bows this last few years due to the health stuff. But I have about half a dozen that are half finished ::)

VB, thank you it's always a pleasure seeing your work as well.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 05:31:47 pm »
Wow! ,how did I miss this one?That's a beauty Keenan.You did a super job on that piece of juniper.I like everything about that bow.It just" has the look", of a great shooter.Congrats. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Keenan

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:53 am »
Thank you Pete.   Keenan

Offline NTProf

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2009, 12:08:42 pm »
I cannot think of something to say about your bow that hasn't already been said! Just a couple of questions: how big was the sapling? Is your bow mainly sapwood?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 08:36:47 pm »
 NTProf, thank you, The sapling was about 4-5" in dia.  and yes mostly sapwood

Offline Keenan

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2009, 01:40:53 pm »

NtProf;  Here is a pic that I came across of the sapling.  It's the one that was third from the left. ;)  Hope that helps

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2009, 01:55:27 pm »
Keenan, dont know how I missed this till now but WOW! That sure is a beauty in astetics and function! Didnt know that dead wood was ok to use on juniper. I got to see if it grows here in Mo. Glad you are healin up good.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline NTProf

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2009, 08:46:16 pm »
Keenan, Thanks for the picture of the staves!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2009, 02:34:43 pm »
 Your welcome NTProf;

Thank you Brian.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2009, 08:02:12 pm »
had to come back and look at it again, this bow is just really special looking to me, makes me want to get some juniper real bad.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2009, 09:30:09 pm »
  Wow! I missed this one too. That bow and wood is stunning, Keenan. The character and all the pin knots is amazing. It has me looking at all the juniper that is used in landscaping down here. And it's great to hear the surgery helped, now take care of yourself so you can Elk hunt this year. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?