Author Topic: Fiinally got a nice set of stones  (Read 4320 times)

Offline n2everythg

Fiinally got a nice set of stones
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:39:30 pm »
- Hammer stones that is!

Been about helpless with being able to spall out big chunks of rocks 'cause I havnt had any good big spalling stones.

So today I went on a hunt. Found a few good ones in some landscaping.. but not much so I went over to the local landscape yard and bought some TN sand stone for .25 cents a lb. Man what a difference..

been happy as a clam all day long and my wife just cant figure out why I'm having such a good time with my new stones. course I dont get her shoe thing either so I figure we are even. Ha!

So tonight I spalled out a big tab of Rhyolite that I been looking at for more than 6 months but didnt want to ruin as I didnt have any good size hammer stones.

Cracked her up good and about filled a 5 gal bucket with good spalls. Broke 4 of the hammer stones along the way but sure had fun. Man that Rhyolite is hard rock. My leg feels like I have a charlie horse the size of TX in it. now to reduction... but not tonight.

Just thought Y'all would want to see a pic of my rocks.
Later
N2
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:37:10 am by n2everythg »
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline boo

Re: Fiinally got a nice set of stones
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:47:15 pm »
look at that big ol grin ;D i thought you found gold in that big chunk o rock. I'm  going out tomorrow scouting for turkeys on the grizzle tail cr, and ill be a looking for some hammer stones also. Great job on that rhyolite, have fun. boo
Boo

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:49:14 pm »
Yep, just give us the simplest of toys and we can play all day.  Nice rocks.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:13:13 am »
  Those broken hammerstones ought to chip like that stuff you hauled back from Florida. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:09 am »
Eddie,
Humm.. now there is a thought. those hammer stones might make up some good arrow heads..

Man that stuff from FL chips awesome (compared to rhyolite).
James spalled up that FL rock this weekend at TJ's for me. I didnt have any stones at that point...

He made it look like a piece of cake.
Look at the pics on TJs page. behind me you will just see a huge pile of spalls.. which are in the turkey roaster as I type....

Man I would take a truck load of that stuff. bring some up to the classic if you are coming I will trade ya something for it... as much as you can bring.... HA.

look at this piece. nice color... etc. chips like obsidian compared to rhyolite...

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:15:44 am »
Thanks for the pic's n2. Always interesting to see what fellow knappers are up to. I found that I can knock off much larger spalls with stones than I can with my largest hunk of copper.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:56:31 pm »
That looks like some seriously tough rhyolite.  Whatever points you get out of it ought to be equally as tough (& sharp!)

Good idea getting those hammer stones from a landscaping place. They ought to work real well on softer rock.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 08:35:01 pm »
Wade that is awesome. I went rock hunting yesterday. Found 2 decent hammers, broke one today. I will have to look around for some bigger ones. Stones make a big difference.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »
 Wade, I know where there is a Dump Truck load of that stuff as we speak. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 09:59:44 pm »
hey n2,thanks for sharing the pics...i dont any thing about rhyolite.do you have to cook it..that stuff looks like its as hard as my head.lol....john

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 09:35:28 am »
There is no cooking rhyolite.
James parker told me he once used some special kiln to take it to something like 1500  or 1700 or higher cant remember but said almost molten and got no change.
that stuff is igneous and crazy hard.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere