Author Topic: mystery wood???  (Read 7414 times)

Shooter_G22

mystery wood???
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:32:06 am »
i have some wood here tht i picked up at a local saw mill hard wood shop that sells a little ruff stock and will cut to size for you...

Anyhow,

i went there maby a month and half ago to see about some walnut and then the guy that i dealt with befor was out on vactaion and there was a lady there that wanted to only sell me a whole board and told me that if i wanted a piece of board id have to wait for the other guy to come back form vacation...lol... dont ya hate when that happens..lol

anyway
i went to the out side of the shop where they had some oders on pallets to be picked up when i was talking to the lady and i saw some long strips of some type of dark wood that kinda looked like walnut but was cut and looked alomost like floorbaorb trim... and i asked the lady what that was and shee said it was left over scrap for a mill order and i could have it if i wanted it and i said hell yea i'll take it...  i asked what type of wod it was and she looked confused for a second and said i think it some typw of dark mohogany or myabe a walnut oh know i think that that walnut substitue taht some people are useing and hruged a little and then said well i knwo what it is is..  its free if you wnat it soo.. i didnt ask any more and scooped it up anyway it looks like i could make some thing from it ima give it a try ...   herar are some pics...
anyhelp idintifieying it would be appreciated..

and any suggestions on how i should make up a bow from this would be aprreciatied too.. i also have a piece of thin backing strip of pecan that i have left over from the l;ast pacan board  i got and i though of maybe putingsomething togatrher to make it work... i also have a abmboo backing strip that a friend of mine sent me to be able t make a bow for the boys on the youth team i think i might give thei mysteriw wood a chance with a boo backing and maybe eve the pacan thins strip inbetween the boo and mystery wood what ya'll think???

i have two peices of the mystery wood already glued up back to back to make a bow from it and glued addition peices fro a handle riser.. will post up pics on that tomorrow any comment and advice will be appreciated...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shooter_G22

Re: mystery wood???
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:39:31 am »
more pics

Shooter_G22

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:41:26 am »
more pics

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:46:05 am »
Is it heavy and dense?  Ipe possibly?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:01:35 am »
yes Pat B,

it is heavy and dense and the lady told me that she thinks it was some importeid  foriegn wood that poeple used as a replacement or substitute for walnut...  i dont think she actually knew waht it was but does that sound right????

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:31:39 am »
Ipe is used as decking on high dollar houses. That is what it sounds like to me. Makes an excellent bow.
   Scrape the wood and see if it has a kind of spicy smell.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:14:41 am »
If its ipe the dust is toxic so if ya turn greaan and puke its ipe :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 02:49:33 pm »
Well I guess thats one sure fire way to find out Dana.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »
Personally, I don't have a problem with ipe dust....so the "puke" test wouldn't work in my case.

If it sinks in water it's definitely ipe.  If it floats, it might still be ipe.....try scraping it and looking for yellow dust.  If you see yellow powder, it's ipe.  If not, then I dunno.  :P
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 07:20:37 pm »
The dust doesn't bother me either. Some folks can't touch the stuff.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 11:46:17 am »
The dust doesn't bother me either, other than making the ol' nostrils burn a bit. It has a very funky sweet/spicy smell when you're working it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 11:55:27 am »
i get a little stuffy from the dust,but what the hell it makes for breat bows.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Shooter_G22

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:29:23 pm »
well folks,

i'm about 99% sure its gotta be Ipe...   it has all the characteristics that ya'l speak of...   i started trying to build the one i had glued two strips togather...   all i did ws shape out the handle area... and start to flex it a little bit...    but the aroma from the dust of the sander was a real funky spicy almost weird purfume' smell to it...  and the dust didnt look yellow but when it got on a little bit on my black dickies it did have a slight yellow tint to it... but not like osage dust but it was kinda a tannish yellow...

i tell you what though it was real easy to work and shape with a file...  best result with a file to wood that i have ever had...  i like it..   the dust did get to me after a while but thats probably becuase i did a little bit on my 1" belt sander in my apt and then got alot of dust inside my apt.. and i could smell it everywhere... got me a litle nuatious but now more than like when i do the some thing with osage...  but i could really smell the wood and that smell stuck with me for a while...   

i think its has to be Ipe...    thats pretty cool i had wanted to work with some ipe but didnt think i would be able to get any anytime soon figured it would be real exspensive... pretty cool i got these strips for free...   lets hop i can make some thing form them....     

i think i'm going to glue up another board stave today or tommorrow....   here is what i was thinking...   i need some advise...

the ipe strip is about 1/4" thick... and about 1 1/2" wide....  i was thinking of glueing a pecan strip to it as a backing the pecan srtip is about 1/10" thick and about 2"wide so i would have to trim the excess off that i know but then after glueing up that i was going to glue a bamboo backing strip that is slightly over 1/10 " thick at its thickest point...
soo after all the glue up the baord stave should be almost be around 7/16" thick or almost a 1/2" thick... and about 1 1/2" wide... and the lenght to be determined later...

but would this give me a stave that would be tick enough to work into a 50# bow???  is my question or should i somehow make the ipe a little thicker by glueing up two 1/4" strips and then put the pecan and bamboo backing or just the bamboo with out the peacan...

any advise would be apprecaited thanks...

Rich Saffold

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 02:52:36 pm »
Shooter, I'd glue the first Ipe strip to the Pecan backing, and make your bow no wider than 1 1/8" wide and glue it up in either slight reflex or r/d neither with more than an inch of reflex. Then I'd add the second strip after this has dried and you have a clean bow outline. Then I'd glue the second strip on the belly and just lightly bump the reflex a hair more than how the first one is at rest..

You will store a bit more energy, and have enough wood for a 60# bow give or take...

This is a cool thread!

Rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »
Go with what Rich said. He knows his ipe and ipe bows.  ;)