Author Topic: can linseed oil cause set?  (Read 3613 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
can linseed oil cause set?
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:25:33 pm »
i just finished up a hickory flatbow, 90# @ 29, 69" T.T.T.   2.25 @ fades for 14" then to 1/2" tips. will post pics when the linseed oil dries. was wondering, do i have to wait for the linseed oil to dry completely before shooting in the bow, if i do how long should i wait from now? can oils cause more set? or since it is not water based do i not have to worry about it? thank you for your time and critiques.

Dustin D

*edit*

ok well here goes some pics. hickory 69" 90#@28" hope to keep that after shoot in. flatbow 2.25"wide for 14" fades to 1/2" cocobolo tips. about 1.25" of set when first unstrung, drops to 1" after an hour.

again thank you for critiques and advice.

*/edit*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:18:27 pm by DustinDees »
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: can linseed oil cause set?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't wait.  But I'm not very patient when it comes to trying out a new bow. ;D

The oil doesn't pentrate far enough into the wood to make a difference anyway, I think.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:14:49 pm »
Good looking bow-that's a hoss at 90#. IMO, I would finish it with something a bit more moisture resistant than just linseed oil-that hickory loves to suck up moisture and linseed oil provides almost no vapor barrier.
PS-a 90# hickory bow with only an inch of set says you did a great job tillering it, looks like a good one.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 09:35:37 pm »
Dustin, the oil shouldn't effect the set of your bow. If you are are wanting to shoot it now go ahead. When refinishing furniture, etc, I usually mix linseed oil 1:2 with mineral spirits, otherwise it takes quite a while to dry out. As mentioned above linseed oil doesn't water-proof a bow, but it sure brings out the beauty and grain of wood. Nice looking bow.
Philip
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:24:49 pm »
wow ty for the comments. i was waiting to shoot it in before putting a clear coat on it. this bow is for my boss he is built a lot bigger than me, actually im going to name it "the boss" cause of the draw as well. 90# isnt bad for a few draws, but damn does it do some damage around the 20th short draw. got 50 at 1/2 and could only manage 3 full draw shots today. gonna weigh her tag her and seal her up tonight to give to the boss tomorrow.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 08:41:20 am »
Nice bow,That is a real mans bow. :) :) I haven't use linseed oil in a long time,don't think it would cause any problem,just takes to long to dry for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 09:58:33 am »
Very nice bow. Excellent tiller. Looks like you used a board? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:08:46 am »
"The Boss" is quite a hoss!!! Your tiller looks good and for 90# not much set at all.
  I occasionally use linseed oil but only early on in the finishing process to bring out the grain of the wood. For a final finish I use 5 or 6 coats of Tru-Oil; a gunstock finish.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:46:32 pm »
thank you again for all the comments.Pappy, im just glad im giving it to someone that can use it regularly, the shoot in was a bear. George yes it is a board bow, 2/3 heartwood and 1/3 sapwood makes a great contrast on the back of the bow. i started this thing september, but my shop is in the weather outside and this harsh winter made me set it away till about 2 weeks ago. the tips were supposed to be lightly recurved but one was steam bent and the other i got distracted on and ran out of water. the steam kept (lower limb) and the dry bend came out while it was sitting over winter.

Dustin D