Author Topic: osage core  (Read 3737 times)

Offline yazoo

osage core
« on: March 19, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »
I found a 20in dead osage yesterday,,as I split it today a 6in core seperated entact, it followed one ring all the way around, its got some very dence wood in it any body else seen this
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Timo

Re: osage core
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:44:00 pm »
Yes, 2 years ago I found the same exact thing, only a lil smaller tree.The core was soaking wet. The bows  I made from it were crap.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:58:36 pm »
this core is bone dry, and some of the most dence i have seen , I am going to bring it to the classic,, what kind of rings were in your core timo dont forget bad wood makes bad bows ;D

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:43:28 pm »
It was the dark red osage.Fairly tight rings and a few small pins. I let it dry a long time but still the wood just seemed to be empty of life.

Good luck with yours.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:03:05 am »
this core is bone dry, and some of the most dence i have seen , I am going to bring it to the classic,, what kind of rings were in your core timo dont forget bad wood makes bad bows ;D

I heard of osage doing this where it will almost "delaminate between the growth rings. 

A freind from WA state made me a bow from wood you describe and its a pretty awesome bow.  Rather discolored.
Westminster, MD

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 12:08:30 am »
yazoo,

i bet that wood will make some awsome bows...  hell id love to try some...  let us know how it works out...   i really would like togo to the clasic but i dont think im going to be able to afford the trip...

plus i dont have anything to bring or work on...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 08:36:05 am »
I love the dence Osage,don't know about that ,don't guess I have seen that before.Shooter
come on we will find you something to work on. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:00:15 am »
Yes I have seen it and it was better than some of the newer growth. It looked like it was wind shook at some point and just separated over the years. It was very dark in color and harder than rock. I think this tree was 100 + yrs if my memory is right. I also cut a very large old growth mulberry that had a similar section of heartwood like that and it was great for bows. This stuff was literally seasoned inside the tree.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline yazoo

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 10:51:31 am »
yea shooter if you come I will give you a piece of osage to work on,heck I will give you a stave of the core,  ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 11:14:00 am »
yea shooter if you come I will give you a piece of osage to work on,heck I will give you a stave of the core,  ;D

I'm going to be there and I also have nothing to work on ::) :P >:D ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI