Author Topic: Hazletts hedge row (pics added)  (Read 10452 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Re: Hazletts hedge row (pics added)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:43:19 am »
Timo I stickerd as much of it as I had room for. Some of the big 2" thick boards I layed up on my bow stave racks and they dried just fine that way. 2" thick slab boards 12" wide will  will make you grunt though moving them around. Dean

Offline Timo

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 08:55:13 am »
Dean, I  have a 10x20 shed on the back of my shop that is inclosed/non insulated. It gets perty hot back there during the day. I was going to make me an area in there to stack and forget about this lumber. I have lots of sticker wood and some railroad rails to weight it all down. Time will tell. Gotta learn sometime? :)

Been reading up on this a bit. Doesn't look like to  much work in building a lil dryer?

Thanks for the advice.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 10:03:16 am »
Tim a friend of mine built a solar kiln out of old patio doors, he put a adjustable vent on one end and a fan on the other.
Works good :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 01:13:18 pm »
So you just went for the young stuff this time huh?

My friend Jimmy called again and wants me to cut with him this weekend.  I said yes but I'm already regretting it.  I still have six splits from a big log I cut this winter, wrapped in a tarp and laying on the back patio.  I can barely pick some of them up.  They all need 'knifed yet.

I had a log cut for slats a couple years ago.  It wasn't as big as your logs and had a lot of wind checks.  Didn't produce that much usable stuff when all was said and done.  I stickered the wood in my garage, didn't have any problems with the drying just the wind checks that were there to begin with.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Timo

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 03:47:23 pm »
Just back from the mill. 4 hrs of sawing. Some good, some very good, and some....well there is some waste.:)

Pics later...after the ibuprofen have kicked in.

:)

Offline mobow

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 05:19:04 pm »
Looks to me like you better get a big bottle of Ibuprofen.  keith

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »
Man that a serious haul of wood :o And even more bows ;)

Congrats on the score!

Offline Timo

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:50 pm »
A few more pics from today. The first is an Amish boy named Avery.Realy nice fella and did things the way I thought they should be. He had a hard time with it, and changed the blades often.

The load after sawing.

Some really nice stuff here.

This is the best stuff,stickered and under roof to air dry.Should be ready by Mojam?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 12:28:21 am »
Well Timo, I think you should bring some of those pretty blonde boards out here to the beach. There is more than a few of us bow nuts out here.. Great Pics!

Rich

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 02:50:36 am »
Good haul Timo. I like to call those biguns " Elder osage".  I have recentley decided to take my time off of being out of work to start scouting and cutting and sellling choice osage myself. I live in Kansas and Osage is all over the place. Problem is I'm a stave-aholic and am always looking for the straightest stuff. I have looked at  hundreds of trees in the last week and am gonna take only about 8 of them. I'm glad to see that you were able to take wood that otherwise would be firewood and give it a chance at a second life. I'm sure the guys that like to do composite bows will be very glad to see ya.
  I'm headed out in the morning to cut some more of the 10" diameter ones and bring them home and debark em, then I'll  enlist a little help with the 3  20" ones. You cannot believe how nice these are. straight with no twist for at least 8ft. Creek bottom born and bred and lived a shelterd life. I have'nt laid a saw to any of the big girls yet but I'm gonna guess and say they are at least 60. It'll be fun to see.
  Does anybody else get excited about this like I do. I mean, its like...when you look at all those trees and most of them just have too much wind drift or are too darn knarly to dull a blade on and then lo and behold there she stands in all her glory and you realize that you are in the presence of a rare and precious thing. Pipe straight osage, no major knots, thick ringed. Just makes me grateful to be the one that gets to take her home.
  I like the moxy of a fella like yourself that has the where with all to embrace the task and make that harvest and turn it into an opportunity. I hope you sell out at Mojam. With the commitment it takes to complete the task you deserve it.  Once again nice haul.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Timo

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 07:59:39 am »
Rich,come to mojam,and bring a piece of that dark wood you are so proud of,we'll make a trade.:)

Danny, I learned a few things in this go around.

Be sure and have alot of stickers cut and ready,when ya start stacking iit.:)

In cutting big trees(over 14") make sure they look superb.After a tree gets that big, it has learned the capability to hide blems well.The smaller stuff that looked clean, was clean.

And the number 1 thing i learned: Make sure you have plenty of time to work everything up. All my stave logs are still as such.Gotta get to work on them soon.This is alot more work than most people know.

Good luck with your cutting,and post some pics for us.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 10:07:00 am »
That piece of dark orange stuff top middle looks really choice.

What did you pay for the cutting?  I think I gave only $20 for the small log I had cut, and I know it dulled at least one of the guy's blades.  I felt bad about him charging so little, but he wouldn't take any more money.

The amount of work involved makes the price of staves seem really low.  You'd better be doing it for fun or it just isn't worth it.  You did have fun didn't you?

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mobow

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 10:10:02 am »
Osage hunting is kinda like elk hunting.  The real work begins when the game hits the ground.  I bet I know what you are doing this weekend.  Good luck getting them split out.  Are you gonna de-bark now or wait?  keith

DCM

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 10:22:17 am »
I was hoping you'd have a mizer type mill.  Much thinner kerf.  I think I paid ~$20 and hour for mill work about 10 years ago.  $100 for 4 big hickory logs, and an osage 12" at the butt, all milled to 2" with a few slabs left fat.  Probably 2 hours on the mill, two hired men and me watchin, + the raw logs.

Osage ain't that hard, least not wet green, imho.  I got the same line outa my guy, just after he ran through a muddy spot on his hickory tree (after first cutting my osage which was meticulously clean) and the saw started cutting sideways.  Next time it might be worth it to pressure wash them, or hose the heck outa them at least.  It's the dirt embedded in the bark, particularly if they were skidded and yarded, that abrades the blades so much.  IMHO  I ain't no sawer, but I done sharpened enough blades to know 1/2 second in the dirt converts to hours of cutting in clean wood, in terms of dulling a chain/blade.

I have learned not to really look at stuff more than 12' on the butt end.  I can cut and work two 10" trees and get twice the finished product over the time in 20" tree.  Just gets too darned heavy, and hides too much waste as you've said.  Rarely is one that big sound bow wood throughout, particularly in the center.

Nice haul.

Folks will learn, Timo I'm sure long since understands, this is far from a money making proposition.  All a labor of love.  I could make a darn site more at minimum wage, and I have converatively a mile of such osage fence row, 90 years old by the tellin', that I can pick and choose from at will.

Hope to make it to Mojam and see all ya'll nare-do-wells some more. 

Lennie ievidently got some ground hog, 'er bear, in his blood.  Ain't seen him since last Fall.  The Sun done woke you up boy?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:13:48 am by DCM »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 11:00:27 am »
Nice wood. That piece on top in the middle would make an awesome coffee table.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956