Author Topic: cuttin some sage  (Read 7475 times)

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
Re: cuttin some sage
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 05:56:19 pm »
Pat the cherry has been outside but covered up until a few weeks ago when I took the bark off. I just cut the osage yesterday and they are the ones I haven't taken the bark from yet that is harder to remove. The cherry bark popped right off in big sheets. The osage needs to have a draw knife put on it to remove it. I didn't know if I waited if it would come off easier later. I am very disappointed from everything I have read about BC though. I had high hopes on workin those staves while my osage dried. :( I'm still gonna go on with the BC though and just put a good backing on it. Pat if I clamp the osage down to a board while it dries can that take some twist out of it? I really just am not sure what to do from here.       Thanks            Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 06:52:33 pm »
Kenny,
          Debarking gets harder not easier with time in my experience with osage. The main thing that is easier is the sapwood is easier for the knife to cut through when its still got moisture in it. Once it hardens its more work, plus you want to make sure you do'nt leave the bark on so that if there are bugs in the bark that they cannot do any damage to the rest of the stave. There is nothing easiy about debarking one way or the other however keep your drawknife plenty sharp and it will make it less of a struggle. I don't know about the cherry as the only thing I have workied with there is cherry boards. Do not paint the belly. The moisture has to have some where to go and its through the belly that you want to force it to escape to prevent checking. If you ever get the chance to read Dean Torges book " Hunting the Osage bow" he does a nice job of step by step telling you how to select, cut, and process your staves. Once you have done a couple loads you will be a lot smarter on how you do what you do. I don't think you can get the twist out that way in green stave form, you might be able to rough it into roughly bow shap and get a lot of the wood off of it and then steam and clamp to correct some of it but if its not too bad then I would'nt worry about it. I don't know that this a rule of thumb but I heard someone on here a lot more experienced than me say they don't like twist over 40 degrees. I suppose that tells me that if they can work a stave up to that much twist then you  probabley can too.  Hope that helps,   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 07:40:35 pm »
Thanks Sidewinder, I think we have at least 4 good ones in the bunch. they all have some twist in them but a few aren't as bad. I have read the Torges book. I even reread the first couple chapters over the past few weeks.I'm gonna get at the debarking and takin the sap wood off soon. Thanks for the encouragement I'm gonna keep going. If I can make a bow from one of these then maybe I can learn alot on one stave. Should get a shooter out of one of them. We have alot more we can cut and 3 whole trees that I have to cut for a friend and I am gonna keep all I can out of that bunch also. If I don't his son is gonna cut it for the big F word. (firewood  ;D) If someone in this area wants to spend a day cuttin osage and knows what they are doin send a PM to me and Ill split the wood with you and Ruck. I'm gonna work a little with my BC tonight and see how that goes. Is a ring violation when you go all the way through a ring or would it be even if you take a little out of it? I wasn't sure what exactly so thought Id ask. Thanks again Sidewinder.      Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 11:16:14 pm »
Your welcome Kenny.
 Where do you live? I'm up for harvesting osage at anytime as long your within 75-100 miles of southern Kansas, its the debarking and the rest of the work I have to get geared up for.  Once I do, I am like a machine for several ngihts in a row until all the wood is processed and stable in the wood shed.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 11:59:50 pm »
I live in southern Ohio. A lot more then 100 miles. ;D I have a BC stave taken down pretty far and even have a outline(very enlarged version) drawn on the back of the bow. I would like to get some opinions as to what they think I should do. Should I post it on this one or start a new post? Sidewinder if you are ever in Ohio and wanna cut some osage let me know and Ill try and find us some real quick. ;)  Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 04:41:13 pm »
Yep, it does look more like mulberry to me.... ???
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 07:59:17 pm »
Looks like bow wood to me Kenny ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 08:54:00 pm »
I'm gonna start a new post about my Black Cherry bow I'm workin on. I think it is a lost cause but I'm gonna try it anyway. They are the only staves I have dry enough to work on.Ill keep waitin on the osage now to dry and let you know when I start on it. I am gettin worried now cause alot of you are telling me its mullberry. I really don't think it is but I would like to know for sure.What can I do to be sure?
Kenneth Hughes