Author Topic: cuttin some sage  (Read 7474 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: cuttin some sage
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 02:11:52 pm »
I'm with sawflier on the sapwood. Time well spent taking it off green and sealing the back of the log than trying to take it off dry with a drawknife. Don't get try to split too many staves out of a log just yet, you'll end up with a lot of scrap if you get too greedy. Safety and then some more safety and you'll still end up up with some battle wounds. Good luck and have fun ;)
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
Re: pics of cut osage
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 12:26:37 am »
I didn't know if I was gonna get the pics up tonight but I did get pics of two of the staves on top cause I brought them in my house and took the pics. Will post some tomorrow when its daytime of all we cut today. I hope we did this right. I'm not sure because it wasn't hard at all. The wood split very easy, we didn't cut any 30" trees though, but enough for some bows. We wanted to make sure we was doing this correctly before we cut any more. Anyway here are two of them tell me what you think please. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 12:34:08 am »
more pics

[attachment deleted by admin]
Kenneth Hughes

ruck

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 12:50:50 am »
cant wait to get started, even if we did it wrong it was good practice,didnt cost nuthin and it was a pretty fun day ;D

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 12:58:57 am »
I'm gonna debark and take off the sap wood tomorrow. I'm gonna go buy some spray shellac in the morning to spray the staves with when I'm done. Would it be ok to put them in a heat box soon? How long do I have to wait? more pics tomorrow!
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 06:06:06 am »
Nice wood,I wouldn't put it in the hot box to quick .I would give it a month or so to dry out some.
Even sealed if you try and dry it to quick it will check. :) Green Osage can't be rushed as much as some white wood.You have to be careful. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 08:28:24 am »
Looks like ya got it done. Good for you.  Not to burst your bubble, and I don't know what kind,or how much wood you have to pick from, but I would have walked by those trees. There is straighter/cleaner wood out there.( unless ya want snake wood) :) You have your work cut out for ya now buddy! :) It'll be fun. Looks like ya got some big rings?

As for the shellac. Never used the spray before, but figure it won't be as good as what comes from a regular can. Probably cost more, but not sure. I'd check first. Also check the manufacture date,as it does have a shelf life. I wouldn't buy anything over a year old.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 12:25:20 pm »
I'm with Timo on the canned shallac. I don't think the spray is as good a vaue. The brush on kind will allow you to process more staves for less money.It will last longer if you don't buy the spay and you can put it on heavier as well to provide a thicker moisture barrier. I have even been thinking about buying the flakes and mixing it myself so it will last even longer, but I haven't getten motivated to locate a good source yet. I think I give $9 a pint a Lowes for mine. I think Bullseye is the brand.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 12:58:41 pm »
Please forgive me if I'm wrong...But that looks more like mullberry than it does osage.   I'm not saying your wrong. Just that it looks ALOT like mullberry.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »
I use spray shellac and yes it is more expensive but for my application it works best. I bought shellac in a can a few years ago and didn't realize it had a shelf life. ::)  If I were cutting trees for staves I would use the can but for sealing backs and ends on reduced staves a spray can will last me a while and doesn't go bad.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 02:23:37 pm »
Saw filer I see what you mean.I kinda wondered about that when i first veiwed the pics,but sometimes changing resolutions has a effect. It is awful light colored?And the one on the left has a slicker bark.

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 02:59:01 pm »
Saw I dont think its Mullberry Im 99 .9 percent sure its osage. Im not an expert on the subject though. :) Ill post some more pics later when I have them ready to put up and dry. Should I seal the belly side with something also when they are drying? Im gonna stick with the latex paint I think. That way Im not out any more money.  Thanks for the advice.       
Pappy Ill wait a month then to put them in the box. I wanted one or two dry enough before the classic to bring with me and work while im there.                             Thank You                        Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 03:03:04 pm »
Kenny, Don't seal the belly, just the ends...but you can come down the belly 4" to 6" to help prevent end checking.   And of course, if you do remove the bark and sapwood, seal the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 05:27:31 pm »
Ive been workin on a place to store the wood in my LITTLE shop and I started takin off the bark on one and it doesn't come off very easy. Will the bark come off easier when the wood is dry? Ill take it off now but it will take some time to do. Also I have another question that maybe you all can help with. I have a cherry log that was cut last spring, I took the bark off about a week ago and I just split it into staves today. This wood has been outside the entire time until today. How long should I wait to rough one of these into a bow? I don't think Ill have to chase a ring on this wood right? I can use the outside under the bark as my back? I can post some pics of the cherry if it would help. Ruck I got 4 staves outa that log. 2 for you and 2 for me. ;D I'm gonna put spacers in between the staves so they can get air flow on all sides. Is this wise?   Thank you for input fellas            Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 05:33:53 pm »
Kenneth, Was the cherry out in the weather or outside under shelter? If just outside, I wouldn't use it. If under shelter it should be OK.
   If the tree was cut during the growing season, the bark will "slip"; meaning it will peel right off. If cut during it's dormant season, you will have to work at it.