Author Topic: Could yawl take a look and gimme some advice?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline 22arrows

Could yawl take a look and gimme some advice?
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:25:18 pm »
I have been working on on second bow for a bit now, taking my time, follow many directions and using the gizmo.
I think the bow is doing pretty good, but i could use some professional direction on how she's lookin.
I think there seems to be some limb twist going on, but not totally positive because there grain of the wood seems to run in two directions depending on which side of the limb i work on.

Thanks in advance for looking

Top limb front view

Bottom limb view

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Could yawl take a look and gimme some advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »
Your bend looks pretty good so far. ;)   You do have same prop twist. I'd bet your limb thickness is different from one side of each limb than the other. I sometimes have the same problem when I tiller from my vise instead of my shaving horse. The side against my work bench usually is thicker than the other side. When I flip the stave in the vise to work on the other limb I inadvertently neglect to get the bench side thinned and in the overall bow the thicker sides are on opposite sides causing prop twist. Hope that makes since.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:18:42 pm »
Thanks Pat I am having the same feeling on the sides of the limbs being different thicknesses. My question is which side should try to reduce..obviously the thicker..lol  I guess what I am saying is if the limbs is twisting to one side..say away from the handle which side should be adjusted? Hope that makes sense?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:46:15 pm »
Use your thumb and forefinger and feel the thickness of the limb. Slide your fingers down the limbs and you will feel any irregularities. Also across the limb. The limb bends toward the strong side. Think of each limbs as 2 halves; one stronger and one weaker. Now think of bending both at the same time with the same amount of force. Which one bends the most?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:54:20 pm »
Gotcha...thanks Pat I found some