Author Topic: Osage split  (Read 1715 times)

AKAPK

Osage split
« on: March 08, 2009, 08:24:31 pm »
question, I split this Osage billet right on the ring and was wondering if i could use both sides fore the Bow Back since the rings are pretty much straight across. one side has pin and the other is iverted.PK

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Osage split
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:48:29 pm »
That sure split clean. I like piggy back staves. Clean up the backs with you scraper and sand paper and make you two bows. I haev done it a bunch of times,

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:58:20 pm »
i think the question at hand isnt "will either work for as bow"
as much as he wants know"can either side of either stave be used as the back of the bow"

i personally cant answer that for you,just thought it was a lilte confusing at first read.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:40:43 am »
I've never tried that Phil. The way the rings are laid down each year, if you use one billet inside out the early wood for that ring will be to the outside. I don't know if that matters or not. I think I would go with the proven method.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:23 am »
Since the Billets Rings on both ends looked straight I went ahead and Spliced those two together, now its a 100" in bow, lol, I intend on it bieng 66to 68" 55 to 60 # I want to reurvethe tips at 2 or 3 inches. I got the center splice reflexed a bit, I think thats right, I get reflex and deflex mixed up, sure would be nice to se a diagram.
I have the other billet I am gonna make a 50" short bow at 40 to 45#. So far so good this Osage is really dry so I guess heating it  may crack it, ? I got lucky with that split. Thanks for the info Pat and Eric, Tim thanks for trying to make it more understandable, .Good to ya.PK