Author Topic: hickory stave layout questionS  (Read 2462 times)

Offline hedgeapple

hickory stave layout questionS
« on: March 08, 2009, 02:20:29 pm »
I got this hickory stave from Hickoryswitch.  It was already de-barked, but I wanted to clean it up a bit so I could fine the vertical grain better for laying out the bow.  I had finished cleaning over half the bow when I noticed what I was doing.  I was scraping down through the cork like consistancy wood to the smooth wood.  A light came on.  I started paying attention the sound and feel of my scaping as well as the visual texture.  Though the corky wood sound was low pitch raspy.  As soon as I was through it the sound changed to a smoother high pitch sound.  The feel of the wood under my scraper matched the sound.  Woohoo, I'm chasing a ring! completely by accident.  :)  Am I safe to assume this?

Now for the questions:
1.  It's a shag bark hickory.  There are ridges along the back of up to 1/8" in heighth.  Should I leave them or smooth them out? see first picture.
2.  Theres a couple of worm marks that I can't work around.  Is this going to be a problem?  Should I attempt to go to the next ring or plan to back the bow.
3.  I'm looking to build a bow with a slightly working handle.  Here are the dimentions I'm thinking about.  Will they work?  Is this a good design for this wood"
68" t2t, 1" thick at the handle, 7/8" wide handle, 4 1/2" long handle.  2" to the fades. 1 1/2 wide fades tapering to 1/2 at the tip.
I'm looking to build a 45-55# bow @ 28" draw.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline sailordad

Re: hickory stave layout questionS
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:24:31 pm »
dont ya just love that ring chasing,i do although never done it on hick.
those demensions should work with out a problem,dont know about the worm marks.
i would chase it down another ring,if for no other reason just for the practice,proving the strave is thick enough to
still leave the mass that you need to start with.

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:27:28 pm »
The ridges on the back are common and won't hurt anything. If you do scrape them go to the next ring. If the worm tracks go into the wood(rough edges) then you should probably go to the next ring or plan on a patch there.
Your dimensions will easily make your desired weight. At that length you could go with a rigid handle or make the bow shorter for a bend to the handle or bend through the handle design. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 06:34:49 pm »
Sailorday, Pat B, thanks for you advice.  I had pretty much worked around the worm tracks.  They were smooth, not rough.  I took the small portion of the scraper and worked it slowly.  Corky wook came off.  By the time I was to smooth wood the worm tracks were more of stain than an indention.  So I think I'm fine.  I will keep a close eye on that spot during tillering.  Any sign of a splitter and I'll patch it immediately.  Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:08:44 pm »
Looking forward to your progress!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

nickf

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »
well, let's agree at the point that hickory is incredibly strong in tension.
then we agree that hickory can take alot of grain runoff.

those little worm-scratches wouldn't hurt it in any way but looks, imho. If you feel unsafe, then I'd just smoothen them out(sand away), and ignore them. Even if this smoothing out means you go into a below ring, It shouldn't be a problem

Nick

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 08:42:11 pm »
"Worm Tracks" would be a great name for that bow. keep us posted.