Author Topic: RED STAG WITH STONE POINTS?  (Read 7238 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
RED STAG WITH STONE POINTS?
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:23:34 pm »
Wolf Watcher is in Argentina hunting Red stag, he is hunting with stone points, this got me to wondering.. Has anyone ever heard of someone harvesting a red stag in modern times with a stone point? Or is Watcher on the brink of being the first.. If he makes a Kill... I would be curious to learn what everyone finds out.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: RED STAG WITH STONE POINTS?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:10:51 pm »
The red stag is basically the European version of our Wapiti. I've not heard of anyone taking a stag with stone but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been done.
   Whether or not it has been done, I wish WW good hunting. I hope he brought his camera!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:51:14 pm »
I saw a friend of mine kill a female red stag (he called it a hind) with a 50-lb fiberglass recurve and cedar arrow tipped with a bone point made from antelope leg bone.  He double lunged it and it didn't go far.  Heavier arrows work better, along with perfect arrow flight and accurate shot placement.  After seeing what that antelope bone did, I KNOW a stone point would be absolutely deadly on a red stag.  I've never known anyone who killed one with a stone point, so your buddy would probably be the first.  Tell him not to even question whether stone points would work...trust me, they will. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 03:59:18 pm »
Billy, there is no question at all concerning the stone point ability for Wolf Watcher.. he has taken lots of animals with stone in the past.. I was just wondering if anyone had done in since ancient times. thanks for the info concerning your friend and his stag.. keep your chin to the wind brother,Hawk a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 05:22:11 pm »
I don't know anyone who has shot a Red Stag with stone. But then I didn't know 2 people that hunted with stone until I got on this website.  Now I know there are a lot of guys doing it.  I suspect there are lots of guys hunting with stone that still don't own a computer so I wouldn't be surprised at all to find someone who has shot a Red Stag with stone.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:11:46 pm »
Justin you raise a valid point bro, there are certainly quite a few who don't communicate with the outside world, yet they hunt with primitive tools.. I didn't even own a computer until a couple years ago myself...Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 07:57:13 pm »
Whats a computer ??? ;) :D

Hope Joe has a memorable hunt Mike.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:36:52 pm »
Dana, I am sure he is having a blast.. doing some fishing and hunting the stags... they are roaring there right now.. a lot like our elk rut, Joe is an exceptional elk hunter, so i am sure he will do well... I think it would be cool if he is the first modern hunter to take one with stone points ...especially since he has been flintknapping for over fifty years .. Hawk a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:21 pm »
goog luck to him hawk, i hope he gets a stag

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 11:26:38 pm »
He has the opportinity to harvest at least two on this hunt... If anyone can do it Joe can..  ;D  when are you guys coming out for some fishing and arrow slinging....Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 11:15:01 pm »
Hawk,You might get a few messages from me-sorry-still can,t figure this computer thing out.lloyd

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 12:29:38 am »
got your messages bro.. Watcher has gotten one stag so far. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.. not sure if with a rifle or bow though... Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »
Cool  8) :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 04:34:23 pm »
 Wow that would be so cool. Red stag has always been a dream of mine. Hope someday to be able to try it. ;)  Keep us posted ;)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 12:10:41 am »
I am with you there Keenan, I would love to harvest one of those bulls while they are roaring.. a close shot at five or ten yards would be pretty cool :o I am sure Joe will have lots of pics and a story when he gets home next week.. stay cool brother... Hawk a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston