Author Topic: Go down another ring or back?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline bigcountry

Go down another ring or back?
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:18:05 pm »
I have been working on a stave for a long time.  After taking off litterly 10 rings, I finally got to one that is thick enough but for my handle I can't really got down another ring.

Do you think this pin will be a problem?  I was careful as I can be with it, but with a scraper, I scraped over it, and here is what is left.  The one on the left isn't that bad.  I don't think I will gain much going down another ring.   Its right after the fades.  I was thinking of sinewing.  Great looking stave.  Only pins on it.

Westminster, MD

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Go down another ring or back?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:16:38 pm »
Those small pin knots shouldn't be a problem. They are near the handle, and with the larger one, there is still a little wood left between it and the edge of your bow. I would probably go ahead and back it with linen or sinew simply because I always back my bows. Ideally, if you had seen those knots earlier it would have been a good idea to have left a couple growth rings over the knots.
It really shouldn't be a problem. My first osage bow I literally de-crowned a big knot 2/3 of the way down the limb. After learning that was a no-no with osage, and not wanting to remove another 2 or 3 rings, I glued 2 linen patches over it, then put linen over the entire back. No problems at all, and it shoots bullets. Good luck
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

bearbowman

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:17:59 pm »
I'm not much of a bowyer yet but I would think it would be ok.
I say this because the knots are towards the center and they are located in the non working part of the limb.
I am sure someone with more experience will give their opinion soon.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:00:13 pm »
You shouldn't have a problem with those, and as Bob said...they look like they're in the fades anyway.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:29:01 pm »
Yep, what everyone else said, no problem
VB

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:47:28 pm »
Thanks guys, just a little FYI, thats not a crack, but a centerline I made with a fine pencil, I decided not to follwo.
Westminster, MD

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:24:27 pm »
Those are really minor pins. You could have them anywhere on the limb and they wouldn't be a problem. Pins are never a problem for me on osage. Mid limb or on the edge of a limb, I have never had one fail.