Author Topic: scraper?  (Read 16506 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: scraper?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 11:46:39 pm »
I am with Dane on this one.  Especially when you get used using certain tools.  With very little work time I like to maximize the little time with some good tools.  The key to any scraper is getting a good burr. I find that all the card scrapers I have lose the burr so quickly.  The torges scraper, which is a really nice chair scraper holds a burr forever.  The best part about good tools,  is that if you take care of them they will last a lifetime or more.
Traverse City, MI

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 01:22:49 am »
what doe roll he burr mean?
Click here to add cool Smileys to this website for FREE!

knap, google "how to sharpen a scraper"  There's some really helpful info.  Since some of the companies do not advertise with PA, I can't post a link.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Rich Saffold

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 01:44:42 am »
I have about 20 scrapers from sandviks to split scissors like Pat mentioned. One thing I learned years ago since I use these often for hours daily is I don't sharpen them the traditional method and run them through a grinder with a medium or fine wheel with the rest set at 90 deg.

I can sharpen all these scrapers in two minutes, and since I work  with a lot of the heaviest Ipe there is, no matter how well its sharpened it will be dull in a few minutes and how fast you can touch them up matters more than anything..

I learned how to roll and edge when I was 12, but for bowmaking getting a clean 90 deg. edge works better for me, and at more angles. I can lay it flat on a straight bow or be perpendicular to a knot with a pointed one.

I did a demo at the last mojam as part of my glue-up seminar. Never seen  so many eyes bug out from what I did..Kinda freaky but I made many converts.

Try it, you will save your energy for tillering, and get more done. :D

Rich-

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 01:46:08 am »
what doe roll he burr mean?
Click here to add cool Smileys to this website for FREE!

I D/L'd these Smileys....and locked My Computer up big time.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

orcbow

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 06:23:20 am »
I agree with Rich about sharpening scrapers--It's true that a properly sharpened scraper is a joy to use, but it is not necessary for most bowmaking tasks, especially for tillering. What I do with is my scraper when tillering is just remove wood, I don't care about how nice the finnish left behind. It will take maybe a little more effort with out rolling the burr, but just a clean 90 degree edge will work for many woods. As a professional woodworker we use scrapers mostly for dried glue removal, since sandpaper works better for consistent results and less chance of damage on finished work.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 09:34:47 am »
Orcbow, maybe you can give a demo at the Heartland in May?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline knap_123

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 11:43:06 am »
you tube has lots of info on rolling a bur  or under sharpening a scraper [ftp][http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUi8Nm6_Jg/ftp]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:49:35 am by knap_123 »

Rich Saffold

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 01:16:08 pm »
Often I'm getting a smoother finish on the heavier woods with my thin scrapers than the 600 wet/dry I'm using in conjunction. I also have some larger push scrapers which will remove wood like a spokeshave or faster since  when used pushing downward I can get my body weight behind it :o ;)

Offline PeteC

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 01:39:57 pm »
The best, fine tillering scraper I've found so far is a piece of chain saw bar ,cut to size.I sharpen mine on a belt sander in seconds.It does'nt get hot like cabinet scrapers do,and is very easy to control.I generally get it tillered to brace with a draw knike,then switch to the CSB scraper. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 03:58:41 pm »
This is a great topic and very relevant. I bought a cheap set of scrapers (3 for $5) from the Big tool store" the other day and I must say, I did'nt know how much I needed them until I had them and used them. I am totally sold. I have not yet re sharpened them yet because I understood from Dean Torges tutorial you needed a burnishing tool and those were $30.00. Any cheap suggestions for rolling the edge without a burnishing steel? I also would like to get a good rounded scrapper, these are rectangle. I had one but lost it in the shavings pile at OJAM last year ( If anyone found it during clean up let me know. I am keeping my eyes open for a good deal or at yard sales, may be I'll get fortunate.  The ability to get your belly flat is amazing and I will not do without it from now on.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 10:04:24 pm »
Sidewinder-
You can use a scewdriver shank as a burnishing rod.  Just put a drop of oil on the edge before you start to roll it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline aruge

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 10:20:43 pm »
I've made all of my scrapers out of heavy used table saw blades. I can get 6 scrapers out of a 10 inch blade. Sharpening takes about 30 seconds. I just hold them at 90 degrees to the grinder and go. Keep 5 or 6 going and you can work an hour or two before you need to sharpen them. Al

orcbow

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 07:28:04 am »
Orcbow, maybe you can give a demo at the Heartland in May?

Tracy

Tracy: sure I would do that. 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 12:37:56 pm »
Thanks Rick I had wondered if something like that would work. I will give it a shot.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Rich Saffold

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 12:52:21 pm »
Table saw blades can be too thick to roll the edge and these work well in the grinder since these hard steels make such a workable edge for what we do when touched up on the grinder. When you do this remember the "rough" edge will be away from the wood.

This is a different process from  the traditional manner, and will seem alien until you try it.. I've cut up my share of table saw blades for scrapers and a grinder is a great tool for shaping them...

30$ for a burnishing too :o heck the grinder you need costs 50$ and it has many other uses as well.

Rich-"progressive methods lead to more efficient bowmaking" ;)