Author Topic: scraper?  (Read 16507 times)

Offline knap_123

scraper?
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:26:53 pm »
what do you use for  a scraper?

Offline brownhillboy

Re: scraper?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:13 pm »
I just hold my draw knife perpendicular to the bow, or sometimes a smaller knife.
south central VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:35:16 pm »
You can buy cabinet scrapers at hardware stores or make your own. Good steel makes a better scraper. An old pair of scissors disassembled will give you 2 excellent scrapers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:46:29 pm »
I like the back side of a old sawz all blade.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:07:21 am »
I purchased a good quality scraper, and a scraper holder. When it comes to tools, the old saying holds true... you definately get what you pay for.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:07 am »
I purchased a good quality scraper, and a scraper holder. When it comes to tools, the old saying holds true... you definately get what you pay for.

i agree that when it comes to tools,you get what you pay for.
however if you cant justify spending that kind of money on a tool for a hobby(this coming from someone who has over 50k in tools)then you get by with what you can.
one of my best and favorite scrapers is an old wallpaper scraper blade,just a metall strip that removes wood quit well and is flexible.i also use a pocket knife,mostly for ring chasing.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:31:19 am »
i am with them but i don't have much money so i use a perf blade with the teeth removed

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:56 am »
I bought a set of assorted scrapers,  6 or 7 i believe.  most straight but two with curves.  cost 7 bucks and works wonders

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:25:16 am »
knap, I'm with you on the scraper delima.  I'm chasing my first ring and am not happy with me tools--draw knife, scissors or an index card size piece of metal I cut from an old hand saw.  I'm sure 95% of my problem is lack of experience and not the tools.  The draw knife is my favorite, but sometimes it's just to heavy and lacks a delicate tough.  The scissors and metal card can chatter too much.

adb, I like the looks of your scraper.  Can you PM me info about where to get one?
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 06:04:30 am »
I use assorted card scrapers, and a curved one.  My favorite scraper is the one that Torges sells.  That thing is unreal.  It is a little pricey but worth every cent.  I would hate to have to give it up.
Traverse City, MI

orcbow

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 08:01:37 am »
My scrapers are short sections (4 to 6 inches) of 1 inch wide bandsaw blades. They came from the sawmill I used to work at, the machine was for re-sawing, similar to a Wood-Mizer. The blades are thick (.041), and that helps prevent chatter. I break off the teeth, and file them smooth. Then the straight edge (the back of the blade) I just file straight and square. They work great on hard woods and not as well on softwoods. There is no need to go though all of the scraper sharpening steps for a scraper like this.

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:59 am »
Started with sandviks and wil stay with them.

Offline shamus

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 08:37:10 am »
I use a sandvik cabinet scrapers or a mystik scraper.

and a gooseneck scraper.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:21:47 am by shamus »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 08:47:57 am »
I've used the fancy scrapers and I actually prefer my sawzall blade ones over any store bought one I've tried because they flex a little bit and hold a good edge. Normally I would agree with the you get what you pay for comment and I always recommend using the right tool for the job but this is such a simple tool its not rocket science here. I think its more important to know the correct way to sharpen a scraper blade...this make all the difference in the world.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 08:57:32 am »
You are correct Ryan,Once I learned how to REALLY sharpen scrapers, it made alot of difference. Goosenecks are tough still for me to get sharp over the whole curve,seems I always have a dull spot or two.

You guys that don't use gooseneck scrapers for the lil dips and undulations in a bow back,I'm curious what type of tools you use?