Author Topic: need help  (Read 2512 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

need help
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:57:55 pm »
i have bought two boards. a piece of black walnut 6 feet long and a inch deep and 4 inches wide. i also have a peace of hickory only difference is it is 6 1/2 inches wide. i want to turn the walnut into a holgared and the hickory into a 2 long bows. any advice on thickness on the limbs and how wide should they be? anything i should know about how to work it and what to stay away from? all advice is apreciated
thanks everyone :D

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:30:27 am »
Howdy Swedis,

You didn't describe the grain, just any board won't make a bow - it's all about the grain.

If it's perfect grain, you could make three long bows with 6-1/2" wide board.  That's a stiff handled ALB, 1-3/4" wide each.  As far as thicknesses, you want the handle(s) to be about 1-1/4" square, (then you can round / shape the handles).

I've read that a Holgaared bow is very challenging to make (to tiller), and that it's not forgiving. 

So, if you are just starting out, a Holgaared is like jumping into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim.  You'll learn a lot by trying to make (and tiller) a bend-through-handle bow or an ALB - be sure to back your bow(s) (silk or linen or...). 

Follow some of the Build-Alongs / guides on this site, and you'll be well on your way.
And Enjoy!!

all the best,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:49:50 am »
ok thanks i will and the grain is very good i will try to get some pic of it to help tonight

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:58:47 am »
George on this site has very good info here.    http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:40:27 pm »
here are all the black walnut pics

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:44:51 pm »
and here is the hickory

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:05:26 am »
Hi,  The WALNUT BOARD SHOWS A LARGE KNOT IN THE UPPER 1/3!  All that beautiful grain pattern means that the grain is NOT ideal for making a self bow.  If you cut your bow blank from the left hand side of the board and then back the stave, you can still make a nice bow.  I would not try a holmgaard though.  The inner limbs on a holmgaard are highly stressed and this is not a very good piece of bow wood.  Try a pyrimidal design instead, with a maximum width of ~ 2 inches.  (All my opinion, of course.)
The hickory looks much better to me.  Although there is some feathering of the grain on the face, grain violations appear minor and I see no grain run out at the edges.  If you want to be bold I suspect you could get 3 usable bows from this board.   Six and 1/2 inches allows you to cut three 2 inch staves from this board even allowing for the saw kerfs.  Check out the build alongs or get some advice from someone with more hickory experience on best width before cutting though.  I also suggest that this is a much better bet for making a holmgaard.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers