Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321070 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2007, 07:38:25 pm »
Well javalina might be tough. There pretty far south and west of here. Would hogs do? Saw one of those this morning while duck hunting. I was using a shotgun....sorry. I sent a message to you keenan.
Chris I guess we will just let you off the hook on the javelina hunt.  ;) Actually you need to send your name and address to Brian (koan) because he will be the one sending staves/bows to you when he is finished with them and it is your turn.
Brian I have never had a problem with staves I have recieved, USPS or FedEx. I have never mailed one out though.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2007, 07:41:36 pm »
Brian, I've always had good luck with USPS. If it is over 68" it will cost more. Cut it to the ultimate bow length or slightly longer and it will fare better. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2007, 07:49:20 pm »
I've got Justin's hickory stave cut to shape and the limbs reduced to about 3/4" thick. She's ready for some Hillbilly handiwork!  And from me to Steve(Hillbilly) I have a white oak stave. It's well cured and was cut out of my front yard 4 years ago. Do a good job Hillbilly! We can now make arrangements to pass them on to you. 
   Dang! Am I getting cought up???  I had a busy day today and it was all productive and it all had to do with building bows. Someone pinch me. I think I'm dreamin'!   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2007, 08:30:57 pm »
 Not fair Pat. My day wasn't quite as good. I was out in the shop cutting up some yew and the motor on my bandsaw quit.  Its an older metal saw that I converted and has a srong moter and gearbox. I think it might be one of the external capacitors has just gone out.  At least that what I am hoping. Worst case senario I'll just have to through on another motor that I have.
  On a good note I was in the shop playing with wood. My yew stave to Justin is ready as well, and just got the email from Chris, so looks like we are on a roll.    Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2007, 11:08:15 pm »
Keenan, Don't you hate it when the technology we have come to depend on lets us down. At least when you work with stone tools and other natural materials the disappointments aren't as bad(I'm guessing here!). I guess its all relative.   Pat

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2007, 12:57:37 am »
Brian, just sent you a PM. You too Keenan. Man this might be tougher than I thought. I didn't even know sage brush grew that high ;D Can't wait to get started. Pat, I didn't get near as productive, but I just finished cleaning a load of ducks and guns. Wasn't too bad a day.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2007, 10:09:39 am »
Oh come on now, we have sage brush at least 6 feet tall here and everything is bigger in Texas, I saw the commercial.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2007, 03:31:39 pm »
I have a nice vine maple stave that I've thought about using for this, if y'all ain't skeered of it  ;D It has a bit of gnarlyness to it, but oughta make a good bow. I'll try to post a pic this afternoon to see if y'all want to fool with it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2007, 04:00:04 pm »
Man Im slow, just got the sage brush thing ;D- got relatives in Kansas, I can get sagebrush if thats what ya want Agb....

Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2007, 06:19:06 pm »
  Hillbilly,Vine Maple,Send it on.I just started working one down last week with knots and 6" of natural recurve.I've already made one,snakey and knotty as all get out.Pappy I'll get mine wrapped with shrink wrap tonight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2007, 07:05:29 pm »
Brian, if you can get six foot sagebrush, I'm willing to try it. Draw weight and length will probably be pretty low. Justin, everything is bigger ix Tx.....where it matters..... Chris

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2007, 07:27:21 pm »
OK, heres the delinquent vine maple. It's knotty, dog-legged, and has about 3 or 4 inches of natural reflex. Thought y'all might get a kick out of messing with it, but it'll probably require some torture by heat. I guess Eddie and Pappy will be the ones doing most of the dirty work in the early formative stages, so tell me what you think. It should be green-broke and have most of the ee-vill cast out of it by the time it gets on down the line. I also have straight, well-behaved wood if you would prefer that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 07:34:47 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2007, 07:32:19 pm »
I've never worked vine maple, but that doesn't look too bad.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2007, 09:37:16 pm »
   Naww send it on.Uh you going to scrape the rest of the cambium off.That way I can be sure it's Vine Maple.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2007, 03:12:59 am »
Another sneak preview...of Justin's hickory bow...stave!  Getting the heat treatment. If you will notice under the stove I have Community Bow arrows curing. And of course, Sister in one of her favorite places.    Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]