Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321268 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #420 on: March 29, 2007, 06:07:10 am »
Well here you go Pat.It still seems to be a little spongy but didn't take much set and recovered most of that after rest.You said you liked red on all your bow so see what you think of this.Still wondering about Brian,still hadn't herd from him.Has anyone? ???
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #421 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:10 am »
That looks snazzy, Pappy 8)  8)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: March 29, 2007, 08:49:31 am »
Well I hate to be the one holding you guys up.  But you are going to have to be patient with me on this one.  ;D I called Keenan last night and had a nice little visit about yew. I didn't know anything about yew.  Well now I don't know much, but I know more than I did before. It turns out that I have been leaving too much sapwood on it. I knew there were types you used heartwood, and types you used sapwood.  But I didn't know you had to remove 2/3 of the sapwood and leave the rest.  ??? After I started removing the sapwood last night I can understand why.  It is a lot like working willow or poplar. :) Anyway, that was the whole point to this friendship bow circle. To make friends and learn to use new wood types. And if we make a few bows along the way that is good too.  Don't worry Chris, I may be getting all sappy and tearing up on you. But I'm still going to make you a MANLY bow.   :'(  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #423 on: March 29, 2007, 08:54:32 am »
I checked Brian's stats, he was on last Friday.  Maybe he took a little vacation.  I sent him a PM to let us know he is OK.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #424 on: March 29, 2007, 09:13:14 am »
I sent him one also,just to be sure.Ya so far I have worked on 2 different kinds of wood I have never used before.What did you think about the tiller on Pat's?I think it is pretty close.
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #425 on: March 29, 2007, 09:44:41 am »
Now you're cooking with gas, Pappy! I love the red bands and the overall look. Tiller looks good also. You're a real master.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: March 29, 2007, 09:59:24 am »
I heard you say you liked red on your bows.I started to do it in black then I remembered
you said that so there you go. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #427 on: March 29, 2007, 10:38:48 am »
Pappy I think the tiller looks great. I like it a lot better now, and the red really sets it off.  Justin I'm not worried at all. Like I said before, I've never even seen yew before so this'll be a new experience for me too. I do have the Glann St. Charles video on Yew. He makes it look easy. But then all the videos I have make it look easy ;D They always seem to do the really hard parts off camera. I've never seen anyone work knots down on a bow back. All I work with here is Osage, Hickory, Elm and Ash so I know I'm getting some valuable info. Especially watching the progress on here. Keep the pics coming guys... Chris

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #428 on: March 29, 2007, 11:29:31 am »
I think the tiller looks perfect, Pappy. It looked like it was bending a bit much in the handle, that fixed 'er up.
PS-Justin, you're not holding it up any more than me. This is my most hectic time of year at work and otherwise, I'm just working a little bit at a time, we'll all giterdone eventually.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #429 on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:09 am »
 Pappy that looks really good. As stated befor it's great to see the problem solving that is taking place as we all encure different challenges. This is what this was suposed to be all about , learning new wood and diferent techiniques and styles. I am working on Brians and Pappys right now and not only is working osage new to me but the different handle styles are a new challenge as well. The interaction with Justin has been great and even though I've worked quite a bit of yew I've learned a few things from his trials as well. This is proving out to be a lot aof fun and great experinence.   
  Yesturday I had a great coversation with Chris and got to hear some really good huntin storys,,, just dosen't get much better than that.     Keenan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #430 on: March 29, 2007, 05:46:38 pm »
  The tiller looks great Pappy.After looking at all you went through I guess I took too much wood off at the handle.Hillbilly don't get in a rush for me,It's turkey season and I'm on a mission.But this whole project has got me motivated.Between bows I've been working on a beautiful piece of high altitude yew,I'll post pictures soon.Heading to S.C. tomorrow afternoon,got a bird to wake up Sat.Morning.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #431 on: March 30, 2007, 06:28:23 am »
I will be sending them out to Brian the first of the week.Still haven't heard from him.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #432 on: April 02, 2007, 01:43:57 pm »
Still ant heard from him yet,I guess I will send them on.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #433 on: April 02, 2007, 09:58:21 pm »
Sure would be nice to hear from him wouldn't it Pappy.  I hope he is OK.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #434 on: April 03, 2007, 05:59:09 am »
Yes it would,I have them packed up ,but almost scared to send them till I hear from him.What do
yall think I need some advice here.I haven't heard from in a couple of weeks at least.Has
anyone else? ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good