Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321241 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #390 on: March 23, 2007, 11:12:08 pm »
I think Keenan is determined to turn me into a more experienced bowyer in spite of myself. I have been working on Chris's stave and got it floor tillered. Then I set that sucker up on the tree and immediately noticed something was wrong. ??? NO PAT, I didn't break it.  ;D  One limb is a couple of inches longer than the other. Ive never made a bow with one limb longer than the other.  What exactly is the correct way to tiller it.  (I went back and read the Torges topic.) I understood it more this time and I have some new thoughts on it, but thought it best to let that dog lie.  Anyway, how about some input.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: March 24, 2007, 12:58:07 am »
Justin, you have to tiller each limb seperately but in unison with the other. Be sure both limbs bend evenly and smoothly and bring each tip to a designated point. When I started placing the center of the handle in the center of the bow I was amazed how easy it was to see tiller. I had always made the top limb longer until then.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: March 24, 2007, 11:00:39 am »
Thanks Pat,  I have been putting it on the tree with the arrow pass through in the center.  I then hook my rope where the nocking point will be, and tiller until both limb tips travel down the same distance.  Will that work for these bow?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2007, 09:06:49 pm »
 Hey Justin,  Just got in from Texas and catching up on the reading. Sorry I was sure I had that one even but maybe I got off a litlle. Also there is probably enough length to shorten it up a little if you want even.
  Very little sleep and very tired but had a great time. Saw my parents ranch for the first time.They moved to NE teaxas three years ago.
 To my surprise there is a little over hundred acres of osage,eastern red cedar,honey locus and even some pecan and hickory. And lots of oak.   
  After cutting my first osage tree, I humbly respect all of you southerners now all the more.   I was drenched with sweat and felt like a pin cushion.  I was to afraid of the three inch thorn on the honey locust to attempt it.
  Chris sorry bud. I would have loved it, but didn't get the message till just now.    Keenan

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2007, 11:44:02 pm »
No problem Keenan. Maybe next time. Did you get some good staves? Harvesting osage'll make an old man out of you ;D

Hey Brian, got anything to send my way yet? Just checking. I've been making hickory heartwood arrows all day. Between that and working on a bow for a feller, I have plenty to do so no rush... Chris

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2007, 12:38:51 am »
Keenan, no need to apologize. I need to do something a little different.  You ought to see the project I got myself into now. Ill post some pictures when the time is right.  ;D It was nice to talk to you on the phone. One of these days I'm going to make it up to cut some wood with you.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2007, 10:51:24 am »
Well there is bad news and good news.I was at about 22 in. in Hillbilly's Vine Maple and a splinter popped up 2/3 in. ot of the fades.The thing is I didn't see it coming.So I unbraced it,super glued it down and rapped it with serving.Let it set and went back to work on it and it turned out fine.I
rapped the other limb to match and finished.It turned out 53@27 and tillered out fine.I limb looks a little stiff but I had to leave it because of all the knots.We all shot it and it shoots great.It held about 1 1/2 of backset right after unstrung and about 2 after 30 min. of rest.So I will be sending it on to Koan soon.I also took Pat's out of the hot box after 4 days and finished tillering it.It came out 49@26.I still have another plan to do a little more to it and I will let you know how that goes.
Here are some pictures let me know what yall think.I have thought about putting a thin strip in
the middle about a foot long on the belly in the handle area and thinning it down and tapering it out toward where the fades would be [if it had any]and see if that would pick it up a little and take a little bend out of the handle.It didn't take much set but it seems like it might for some reason.Just a thought,what do yall think.I really want these to turn out to be shooters.Hillbilly's is now if I can get Pat"s like I want it I will be happy. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #397 on: March 26, 2007, 10:52:59 am »
After first unbraced.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: March 26, 2007, 11:02:25 am »
Looking good Pappy.  I like the idea of the 1/4" built up riser on Pat's bow.  ;D I'm  thinking that a good bowyer is not someone who can make a bow without problems, its a guy who can fix problems when they arise. Of course if your not having problems, your not making many are you.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: March 26, 2007, 11:27:31 am »
You got that right justin,I sometimes wonder how it would be to make one trouble free
I think it would be great but it probably wouldn't. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #400 on: March 26, 2007, 11:43:02 am »
That looks great, Pappy.  ;D :) ;D :) Looks like you did an excellent job on that ol' gnarly piece of wood, a lot better than I could have. I didn't get a chance to do much over the weekend myself, I had ten thousand things I had to do. I'm getting Justin's tillered slowly but surely.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #401 on: March 26, 2007, 12:48:18 pm »
That's lookin  good Pappy. I think I would do the handle buildup too.... Chris

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: March 26, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »
I was tillering Chris's bow the other day and it seemed like it was taking to much set, so I put it in the hot box for a couple of days. Then I heat treated the back this morning. Here is some eye candy for you Chris.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #403 on: March 26, 2007, 01:44:22 pm »
Looking good so far justin. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #404 on: March 26, 2007, 01:55:20 pm »
 Wow that's looking nice Justin, That is some serious heat treating. I've never cooked yew to that degree. I usually start moving the gun when I see any color change at all. But I really like the pattern. Let me know how it turns out.  Keenan