Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321186 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2007, 12:13:48 pm »
 Justin, That one is Chris's bow. Pats already worked on mine. LOL  I know confusing isn't it. I should have Brian's bow headed your way by this weekend. Are ya winning the battle with that one Justin??? Boy this yeller stuff sure is some nice wood.  LOL  Keenan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2007, 04:09:41 pm »
  Sorry about not getting back to you Pappy.My DSL went out for a few days.Pappy, VM bends really good with heat.The twist and knots is the reason I left more than usual wood on it so you had plenty to work with tillering.I started to switch hillbilly's VM stave out with a straight one I had and tell him I was the miracle man.One thing about VM isIt is very hard and really difficult to get file and sandpaper marks out.
    Pappy I think the hickory is a better way to go with Pat's bow or I could send you some bamboo.I quit tillering it at 21",I was afraid there would be nothing left at 27"
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2007, 10:38:58 pm »
Keenan, did you get the license plate from that Mac truck.  Yea, I'm getting there.  How long do you think I should wait after steaming, before I should use dry heat on it?  It has been 80* and our humidity is so low I imagine it is dry already.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2007, 01:23:16 am »
I put Keenan's bow in the mail to Hillbilly today. What do I get next?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2007, 03:21:34 am »
 Pat I think the next one you get is Chris's bow. It's another yew but shorter and a little character. Justin is shaping into a D/R.  How about that, all you suthern bows are getting to play with the white woods and us northern folk are turning yeller. 
 Justin you should be fine by now for the dry heat and that should be out farther on the limbs anyway so I say go for it.  Keenan
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 03:25:14 am by Bornagainprimitive »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2007, 06:12:54 am »
I got the back cleaned up last night and worked down to where it would bend a little and then put it on the form and started the straighting process.It may take a time or 2.It wasn't cool so I didn't take it off.I will get it off the form today and see what I have.You are right about the tool marks
they don't come out as easy as some woods but I am getting there.It kind of chips and flakes
until you get use to it.I should have it down by the time I finish.I plan on backing Pat's with
the hickory as soon as I figure what to do about the turned up tips.I want to be sure it will lay
flat in the bends.I clamped it to it yesterday and I think it will pull down OK.I just want to be sure before I glue.It should add the weight we want.By the way Pat what are we looking for.Seem like I remember low 50"@27.Is that about right. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2007, 09:50:39 am »
Pappy, Anywhere between 45# and 55# @26"..or whereever it comes out.   You can pre bend the hickory backing a little before glue-up. I've done that on a few.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #322 on: March 14, 2007, 09:57:15 am »
I had thought about that last night,just wasn't sureThanks,Now I am and will go ahead with it.
I think this will work out good if I can make sure the glue up holds.Wonder how much it will change the tiller,It looks pretty good right now at 21 in.I was thinking it shouldn't change it much,hope
not ,so I can keep the weight.We will see. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #323 on: March 14, 2007, 08:56:56 pm »
  Pappy,I think that it will work.The only thing I would do different is maybe thin the hickory lam where the curves are I put in.I wish I hadn't of done it now.But I thought I could pick up some more weight doing it.Sorry to put the extra work on ya'.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: March 15, 2007, 06:13:37 am »
Thats OK mullet,I hope this works,got it glued up last night.I first pre bent the hickory
in the curves and then glued it up.Hope it holds,looked like it glued up good to me,but what do I know,this is my first lam bow.Also got some pictures of Hillbilly's It is looking good,took 2 bending on the form but I got the propeller out and the string lined up. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #325 on: March 15, 2007, 06:16:27 am »
1 more of Hillbilly's.Start tillering in a day or so,Got it in the house to dry for a day or 2.It's raining here and kind of damp.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #326 on: March 15, 2007, 11:39:42 am »
Lookin' good, Pappy.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #327 on: March 15, 2007, 09:21:48 pm »
  Looking real good Pappy.Started raining here today too.I Got caught in it  2 miles from the truck scouting turkeys.Season opens Sat. morning.I live for this time of year. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2007, 06:02:03 am »
It opens here in a couple of weeks.I plan to tiller Hillbilly's this weekend at night while the shoot we are having isn't going on.I think it will work out fine.It is going to have some real character.Here are some pictures of Pat's after I took all the clamps off except the ones in the bend.Looks good to me.I put it up and going to let it dry another day before I flex it. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2007, 06:03:18 am »
Tell me what yall think.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good