Author Topic: Splitting osage QUESTION?  (Read 6254 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Splitting osage QUESTION?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 07:18:05 pm »
I see you have a pretty good knot on the little one.  I would split/saw it along the black line so as to avouid the knot and try for one bow from it.
 I would split the bigger one in the neighborhood of the other black line.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 01:02:11 am »
Looks like the little one has snakes it's full length. Can I have half? ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 02:16:37 am »
Pat, until I posted this question I didn't know that the bark was an indication on how the grain ran through the log.  In that case, it is very snakey.

If you come up here an split it for me, teaching me how to split a log, you can have half.  And, you can have a stave from the large one also with your help/guidance in splitting it.

A deal you can't refuse.   :)  I will be in Bryson City, April 24 through 26.  I could bring the logs with me. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline yazoo

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 11:28:43 am »
bring it by my house any time and I will split it for  you and show you how, I live is spencer, tn if its not to far, I have split a few logs in my day ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 12:12:26 pm »
Dave, if I could, I would. You might take Yazoo up on his offer. He is the true expert at splitting osage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 12:37:37 pm »
Yazoo, I might just take you up on that offer in March.  We have a cabin on a friends property near Glasgow, KY.  My friend wants to get together for a weekend in March at the cabin.  I'm not sure what weekend exactly that he's thinking about.  I could do a loop down to Spencer, TN when I'm in that neck  of the woods.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline yazoo

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 02:36:50 pm »
just let me know a few days ahead,and come any time,osage is my favorite wood to split, because it is the most prediciiable,

Offline knap_123

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 03:37:18 pm »
yhope you dont mind if i post a few pics of  2 osage logs i split today.  <a  and the last is of hat i split his wek total. i plan on takeing these to the stanly payne  knapin in montgomery al. in 10 days.  hope i can make some trades with 1 or 2 ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:41:00 pm by knap_123 »

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 06:09:24 pm »
I don't mind Knap.

Thank you Yazoo.  I'll let you know when I'm heading that direction.  Now, that I've learned that the bark indicates the wood's grain, maybe I can better predict  the split instead of trying to force the point.  I practiced a bit this afternoon on BL  The staves split as I thought they would.  I think there's a bow or two in here.  Most of the staves had a prop twist, but a couple were pretty straight.  The one circled in blue will probably be my first attempt at a stave bow.  The blue is my second choice right now.  I'll know more when I get the bark off of them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 09:55:28 pm »
Hey hedgeapple your like 30 miles from me. I live near Mt. Vernon. We oughta work on bows sometime. Thought I was the only one round here still whittilin on bows.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline yazoo

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 10:20:03 pm »
dont let a little twist keep you from working a stave, all staves need to go through the straghting process,  work the quality staves,  they all need to be steamed , heated  and reflexed,  If you look for a perfect stave especialy in osage your eyes will cross before you find one :D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 11:52:45 pm »
Hey Hickoryswitch, it's good find some local whose a bowyer.  Me, I'm so green at bow building, if my feet were wet for over a day, I'd sprout.  :D  I'll PM you.

Yazoo, I'm beginning to believe you.  I'm not lazy, I'm just looking for the stave that will give me the highest probability of success with my limit knowledge.  I look forward to the day I can tackle the snakiest, knottiest stave in the stack.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 11:34:15 am »
bring it by my house any time and I will split it for  you and show you how, I live is spencer, tn if its not to far, I have split a few logs in my day ;D

Thanks so much for this offer.  When I first looked at the map, Spence, TN didn't look that far from Glasgow, KY.  After actually mapquesting it, it's like 2 1/2 hours away.  grrr  So, this would put me spending about 8 hours on the road, not leaving much daylight to actually spend quality time with splitting logs.  So, I won't be able to make the trip.  Thanks for you offer.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline yazoo

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 01:49:37 pm »
I will be at the kentucky classic in april, might be closer

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 04:06:33 pm »
Yazoo, I just did a search for the KY Classic and didn't find any information about it.  When and where is the Ky Classic
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw