Author Topic: getting some osage in montgomery al.  (Read 4006 times)

Offline knap_123

getting some osage in montgomery al.
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:55:46 pm »
i got to go and gather some osage today in montgomery and WOW!  ITS EVEYWREe THERE!  i woke up and decided i was going to go find some since i generally knew were since i spent a few hrs. calling tree services, nurceries, and landscapers. they told me to just come down find a place to park in the country and there it is.  well i got more sence than to trepass but i loaded up a saw and gas and took off.  i drove down 231 and turned  on a country rd. and thats all you can see there is osage everywere.  its also swamp everywere also.  well i turned down  a cattle ranch driveway and a  truck turned in behind me.  i held my arm out and 2 young fellows stop and i ask them if they no were i can get some osage. they both threw a smile at me and said "oh yeah, how much you want"?  so i followed them to there barn and told them i had a saw but they said they had a good sharp one and to jump in there truck.  i couald"nt beleave my luck so off we go through the fileds that were soakeing wet and muddy. my little truck wouald have got stuck in 2 mins.  we drove around looking at all the trees on the fence lines but did'nt find anything so we went into the swamp on foot. i cant wait to go back moccasin hunting its a perfect habitat and i was asurred they had some monsters.  we found some nice straight ones and the2 brothers went to cutting for me and helped haul them back and load them up.  man today was a great day for me and they said come back and get all i want.  i'll post some pics later of what i got. i split 2 logs and they have alot of black decay in parts. is this common? it seems to run up the center alot. 

Offline DanaM

Re: getting some osage in montgomery al.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:11:22 pm »
We need pictures ;D and by the way if it was in Montgomery County its all mine so you owe me a osage tax, 2 or 3 staves should do nicely ;D

DanaM as in Montgomery ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline knap_123

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »

Offline knap_123

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:22:39 pm »

Offline knap_123

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:23:19 pm »

Offline knap_123

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 07:26:59 pm »
heres a few pics guys and dana, well have to meet up one sat and split some logs. 

Offline knap_123

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 07:28:18 pm »
tis is all i couald fit in a dodge dakota

Offline knap_123

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 07:32:09 pm »
ohand heres yesterdays score for a case of beer

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 07:39:56 pm »
SWEET!!
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JustAim

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 07:43:32 pm »
Wow, you got alot of wood there ;D it seems like you've been on a tree cuttin' rampage lately :D lf your wondering how l know its cuz l've read a few of your posts over on paleo. and helped ya identify couple of em'. And weren't you alittle worried about going out in the swamps with a couple strangers? They coulda went wacko on ya. ;) Nice haul though.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:24 pm »
As long as there's no banjo music yer safe ;) :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:56:00 am by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline knap_123

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:17:12 pm »
naaaa, i'm not worried about strangers.  these seemed to be clean cut guys on a huge ranch.  not rough and greassy with a hint of trash.  that wouald have been a different story for me. plus i'm about 270 and  feel pretty comfortable on my own. i travel alot by myself on the rd. and i guess you get a feeling about when  a red flag goes off and dont with strangers.  my wife says i'm to friendly sometimes though.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 08:05:23 am »
Nice haul.lots of bows there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:31:07 am »
Nice wood and nice timbers... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 10:29:42 am »
The dark spots in your wood are called wind shakes. Almost all osage has it, in some cases the splits go almost to the bark from the center, just another thing to work around while using osage.