Author Topic: First completed bow!!!!!  (Read 6016 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: First completed bow!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 04:49:13 am »

very good start!
what are you building next??  ;D ;D ;D
f.
Frank from Germany...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 08:57:13 am »
Good job Kenny!From here each one will be a little better.My take on patience is that,I don't have enough of it,to NOT do it right the first time.Ha! Again, you did good. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 10:54:50 am »
 Thanks you guys! I'm not sure what to make next. I will probably make a couple more oak board bows in between now and the classic cause I don't have any other wood. I am going to wait on the cherry till I know how to chase a ring. I may look for some hickory around here though cause I would like to learn to steam and bend the wood. I really like the r/d bows. I'm in the middle of restoring my kitchen( Big project)so I wont have time for a week or so to do much else other than that and shootin my new bow. ;D   Thanks again guys for all the help and encouragement.
                                                                            Kenny
The bow is 1 3/4 at mid limb. and tapers to 5/8. The taper starts right off from the widest part of the limbs.
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 11:13:55 am »
Good job.  It looks like you might be gripping the string a little high.  Might be an illusion though.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 12:04:05 pm »
I could have been Justin. I wasnt pulling the bow the way I shoot just tryin to get my daughter to get the limbs bending in the whole picture. :)
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Bear67

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 03:39:58 pm »
Great fist bow ( not that im one to talk ) it looks great and as a newbie it looked like it bent well that should shoot well.  I loved the handle wrap, i just love leather for a handle.  I my self am getting together some tools to do a board bow my self.
A wheel man for a long time now i figure its time to grow up and make a real bow.

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 08:52:11 pm »
Bear This isn't the first attempt at a bow just the first one that didn't break or blow up. :D I really believe that the ones that did break was what is teaching me slowly of what to do and not to do. Like I said though I certainly learned the most from this one. Thanks again.                    Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 10:08:58 pm »
The tiller looks good. Congratulations on your first bow. Looks like the back has some violations and run outs. I might be inclined to slap a silk, burlap or linen backing on it though. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 06:58:13 am »
Nice job Kenny, Hard to believe it's your first,mine sure didn't look like that. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 08:59:59 am »
Great job Kenny! Turned out really nice.

In the future, you might consider cutting an inch or so off each tip to increase the weight...an option if you want the heavier weight.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...