Author Topic: First completed bow!!!!!  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
First completed bow!!!!!
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:52:41 pm »
 Hello everyone, this is my first bow that I have completely finished. Its a red oak board bow. I posted some pics awhile back of the board selection that I had and I picked one and got started. I used all hand tools except for the rest area I did cut it out with a jigsaw. The bow is 68" ttt. It pulls 40pounds at 30". Its very smooth and shoots hard I think for a 40 pound weapon.I shot it a couple of days ago at a 3D shoot and done pretty good with it. Considering I'm not the best archer in the world. :) I wrapped the handle with some old hide I had and then laced it with some art sinew. I think the top limb could use some more work but I didn't want to take anymore weight off so Ill just have to live with the end results. I learned alot from this bow, more from this one than the other learning experiences Ive had.( blown bows). Patience is certainly the key to this. I believe I took off to much in the floor tillering stage and didn't leave enough to work with on the tree. I missed my mark by about 5 pounds.I wanted 45 at 30 but I am very happy with the way it turned out. I know that my next one will be better. Ill wait for you all to tell me when you think I'm ready for a real stave. I have some cherry I cut last spring and am always looking for more wood. I'm saving money in hopes of coming to twin oaks in may. Most people around here think I'm crazy but I think pappy is right. " If you have to ask you really just wouldn't understand"  :)                  Hope I done OK for my first completed bow. No mesh tape on this one.  ;D       
                                                                                                    Kenny

[attachment deleted by admin]
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Kenny H

Re: First completed bow!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:57:08 pm »
Sorry not enough room for all the pics on the first post. Two coats of hand rubbed tung oil.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:53 pm »
That is a nive first bow!  Looks nice and wide for 30 inches @ 68 ttt.  How wide is it?  Again, good job.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 01:42:09 pm »
You did really good on that one Kenny. Congratulations!
Gordon

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 01:55:24 pm »
Very nice :o I like that handle wrap as well
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:37:32 pm »
Good looking bow, the tiller looks real good to my novice eyes. I like the handle wrap too.

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 03:07:40 pm »
Very good job!  I'm sure you'll be making many more.  Thanks for sharing. :)
south central VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:09:44 pm »
Your tiller and brace look really good, especially for a beginner. Handle wrap is cool too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 04:49:09 pm »
Nice looking bow, congratulations.

Offline Kenny H

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »
Thank you for the compliments and encouragement. Does that mean that I'm ready for a real stave? ;D I would like some more info on the Tennessee Classic at Pappy's  place. Does anyone know where I could find that at? I left the tips stiff cause I thought it would make the bow shoot harder. Was that right or was that wrong? Anyway thank you all very much. I didn't figure to get to many responses today cause most of the women are draggin the men out of the man caves today. :D
Kenneth Hughes

John B.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 05:07:50 pm »
Very nice!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 05:31:10 pm »
Nice Bow kenny....any time you feel ready is the right time to graduate to a Stave Bow....as for the Classic....here is a link to all you will need....

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,10588.0.html
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 05:45:45 pm »
Ya done well for your first bow :) Any time is a good time for a stave I will warn ya though that black cherry is not the best
choice for a first stave. Hickory, hard maple, elm, hophornbeam would be a good choice . Hope to see ya at the Tennessee Classic
you will learn more in a few days with all experiennnnnnced bowyers there then you will in a year on yer own.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 07:15:44 pm »
Good job and quite the handle. Got your First completed bow!!!!! bookmarked for Feb Self Bow of the Month. Thanks for the post.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 08:32:17 pm »
Way to go Kenny! that's one fine lookin bow, and what a rush to finally finnish one huh :)? I remember taking my first bows and launching arra's in the back yard straight up just to see how high they'd go. Congrat's...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.